1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP please, brand new Road Trip advice.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by elementnomore, Nov 4, 2013.

1. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, I'm almost a Prius Owner..... I have a scanguage II (unopened) and I've tried to read a lot of helpful threads but I'd love some current links or advice. I'm LA based but working in Chicago. This Saturday I fly to Roanoke VA get the gen iii and drive the 750 miles to Chicago, IL alone then work Monday... Then Nov 23 I drive from Chicago IL to Washington DC to see family, then to South Carolina (family) then to Savannah GA (family) then to LA. It's quite a trip and I plan on sleeping in the car a la a photographer who posted about it using the prius chat sunshades, thermarest and walmarts. I don't mind cruise control but I'd like some scan guage preferences and advice. I have an iPhone and will use WAZE NAV app. Is there a good app to log gas used? I think I'll try lower grill blocking with 2" pipe insulation as well. Thank you in advance!!

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

2. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh and I have a digital tire gauge and was thinking 40/42 psi.... I'm not sure of the tires yet. 2012 Package IV, moonroof.

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's going to be one great trip! :D
    42 front 40 rear sounds good, just check max psi on side wall of tires, just don't go over that.
    Enjoy your trip! sounds like fun.:)

elementnomore likes this.
  4. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Fuelly has an app to record gas mileage/usage. Grill blocking probably won't be needed on the DC-SC-Savannah portion of the trip as temps will be hopefully moderate enough. Even W/B on I-10 through NM and AZ shouldn't be much of an issue.

elementnomore likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Used or new? Our 2003 Prius was bought used in 2005 in Fort Worth and I drove 800 miles back to Huntsville.
    Let me suggest making this trip into a series of benchmarks . . . you'll have lots of opportunities:
    • record starting location, time, temperature, and estimated wind direction . . . reset tripmeter B
    • drive 2-3 hours on one cruise control set speed and take a biology break
    • record ending location, time, temperature, and estimated wind direction . . . record tripmeter B
    Try to change one variable at a time noting weather is likely to change on any segment. But this will give you a baseline that can later be used to test any changes. For example, here is chart from our first Prius trip:
    [​IMG]

This is what I did after picking up my wife's, new 2010 Prius:
    [​IMG]
    Both remain accurate ways to trade-off speed vs fuel consumption.

Bob Wilson

6. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the tips! Bob, it's a 2012 with about 45,xxx on the clock. I'm thinking they never turned it off ;). The price was right so I went for it. It looking like Roanoke to west Chicago will be 680-700 miles and it will be fun to try to do it in almost 1 tank. I'm sure my first tank I won't be able to. I don't think there is a need to pull the 12 volt negative lead to reset the car.. I think I can just restore things to factory settings... Radio, trip etc. I'll keep you posted. And if anyone has any better scan gauge tips please let me know. Thanks!!

7. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Set the scanguage for Watertemp, mpg, gallons per hour, and rpm. set

8. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius