1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help please-my 2014 Prius has a failed cylinder one with antifreeze in it. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Will Sie, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Will Sie

Will Sie New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello all. I’m new to this. Sending this post because my mechanic said there is antifreeze in cylinder 1 and clearly something has gone majorly wrong? I didn’t have any warning lights pop up either? That being said where can I bring this 2014 Prius V for repair in Chicago and what are my options? I live 45 mins north of City but will drop car off or tow anywhere in Chicago or Milwaukee. Aside from this it has been a great little car with 165k miles? Didn’t expect this out of a Toyota this early I must tell you.
    Thanks and am in need of a mechanic bigtime
    Will

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My guess is a bad head gasket. Find a good local shop for options including replacing the head gasket (and a lot of other parts and labor to get to it) or simply replace the whole engine with a used one. Either way probably $2k or more.

Mechanics Files | Car Talk

3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Does your mechanic have an opinion as to what caused this? I guess you are out of the warranty period now, but if (as seems likely) it was caused by having a clogged EGR system, you might be able to get some help from Toyota, given that they have acknowledged the design of the EGR system on the early Gen 3 cars was poor.

Check to see if this applies in your case:

warranty enhancement; P0401 EGR Valve | PriusChat

bisco likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Methinks you need a new motor.....but I'd definitely get a second opinion.
    Unless your mechanic has some pretty amazing psychic abilities, they found the coolant in the cylinder while they were doing something else to the car.
    What led to that visit?

The EGR system is usually oil fouled because of equal parts poor design and also by owners who do not follow the maintenance schedule.

Either way.....if the v is in good shape otherwise......I'd consider a motorectomy.

Best of luck!

davecook89t likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The good news is this is an engine problem not a hybrid problem, so what you need to find is a mechanic that specializes in engine swapping from wrecked vehicles, or maybe just has a great price on blown head gaskets repair... There's an abundance of those kind of folks compared to hybrid mechanics...

But with 165K on the engine, it'd probably be best to find a wrecked Prius with only 65K on the engine if you want to maximize lifespan of the vehicle.

First step is finding an engine at an auto wrecker or on craigslist or where ever. Then once you find your engine, ask around for the best mechanics who does business pulling engines in that wrecker yard and make a deal with them.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, this is a fairly common problem with gen 3, and could be avoided if toyota enlightened customers and dealers

davecook89t likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What do you mean by "could be avoided." Is there some way to prevent this known problem from occurring?

8. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Cleaning the egr would be the avoiding the head gasket it most likely caused.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

PriusCamper likes this.
  9. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately getting to the egr is not that easy. By the time a head gasket is blown it is too late.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check your oil every month or 1000 miles....
    Install an oil catch can...
    Clean and inspect the EGR @ about 75,000 miles and thereafter every 20-30k miles...especially if you maintain a 10k OCI.
    Consider proactively replacing the water pump @ 120,000 miles.....

YMMV

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'nuff said

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got any links for that oil catch can install? Not sure what that is, but eager to learn...

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How come your posts keep getting shorter and shorter? Can't you be a little more long winded? Even just a little would be a big help...

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, i can be a gas bag. but i thought it was well covered above. what more info can i provide?

Raytheeagle and PriusCamper like this.
  15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can be more than just a gas bag that would be a good start... Like how about trying to be a hybrid-gas-electric gas bag? And what the heck is an oil catch can? Or maybe you've said too much already and if you said more we wouldn't want to be your friend?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, i'm only repeating what i've read here. there are lots of great threads with write ups and pics.
    start with danlatu's oil catch can thread, and see his thread on cleaning the egr and intake manifold.
    and also why the clogging puts pressure on and causes the head gasket to blow.

i'm no expert, but i can usually recognize good advice when i see it. not sure about the gal who cleaned her engine with paint thinner and stopped the oil burning though.(n) i don't pass that one along.

PriusCamper likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it comes to replacment engine: There's 3~4 hours viewing here, dropping a 4th gen, low mileage engine into a Prius v. These can be had in the States for anywhere between $1500 and $2000. He mentions LKQ, I think that was his source. Definitely watch the videos before making any other moves, shows step-by-step what's involved, and the mod's needed to make 4th gen work in 3rd gen.

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v | PriusChat

The advantage over 3rd gen engine: they're relatively low mileage, and plentiful, salvaged from wrecks.

18. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In reality we are probably preaching to the choir and the Op won't see this because the default on this board seems to be no email notifications. The Op needs to find a good local mechanic who can evaluate the proper course of action, tear down and repair or replace engine. Generally head gaskets fail because of overheating or because of a marginal design. For example Civics have a reputation for blowing head gaskets. I am not sure what mechanism a clogged egr causes an overheat unless exhaust gas recirculation lowers combustion chamber temperatures. Some will suggest a clogged PCV valve can build sump pressure and cause oil leaks but Prius PCVs are not prone to clogging.

Mechanics Files | Car Talk

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If he revisits the site he will see an alert, which is pretty good. Hopefully.

20. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, that's the original intent of EGR. Cooler temps lower NOX. A plugged EGR will raise engine temps by hundreds of degrees as well as raising the peak cylinder pressures.

PCV oil causes knock which ruins engines as well

Pixel XL ?