1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help please, P0401 engine code.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ATlam, Dec 6, 2016.

1. ATlam

ATlam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi! I'm an owner of a 2010 prius with 206k miles and i got an error code P0401 today. A quick search point me toward this thread relating to the EGR valve and Toyota extended the warranty on it.

warranty enhancement; P0401 EGR Valve | PriusChat

Can someone clarify if I'm covered under the warranty? Primary coverage is till March 31, 2017 but it says 5 years so I guess my 2010 is no longer covered? It also has 206k miles so I don't think I'm covered under the secondary coverage. Someone please help me clarify these warranty terms.

Prius_Angie likes this.
  2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Call dealership it should be covered

Rebound likes this.
  3. ATlam

ATlam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks!

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There isn't any 5 year condition in the warranty enhancement at all. The primary coverage is until March 31, 2017, regardless of mileage, period.

That would put you beyond the secondary coverage, if that mattered, which it doesn't, because you're still covered under primary until the end of March. (terms)

-Chap

Prius_Angie and ATlam like this.
  5. working1

working1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd be surprised if it's covered, but, should always ask.

The "March 31" date is specific to that vehicle and represents 5 years from the date it was placed in service. I actually got the car in April, but, Toyota decided to roundup to the previous month in their records. It will be a different date for other vehicles.

Unless the 2010 was placed in service in December 2011, it appears past the primary coverage.

6. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got
    I'm pretty sure he is fully covered. I see that you are the person that posted the letter in the other thread. I don't have my letter anymore (if I even received it... I was not living at home at the time and not getting my mail forwarded), so I can't go by that. But I don't know why you think the "March 31" date represents 5 years from the date of service. They would have just said 5 years in that case, like they said "10 years from date of first use" in the secondary coverage part. My car is a 2010 , and it was covered fully under this warranty enhancement when I had it taken care of this past July. It had over 150,000 miles at that point too. I didn't need to fight them for it either - the dealer was happy to take care of me.

m.wynn likes this.