1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP PLEASE!! Triangle of Death w/check engine, VSC & Brake control lights.CAR NOT DRIVING! NO CODES

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KlaustheOriginalHybrid, Dec 6, 2019.

1. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi there, I am a terrible financial pickle trying to resolve my 2008 Toyota Prius issue. It has over 151k on it. Just did a recent oil change three weeks ago and had a tune-up as well as tires rotated & alignment. I did notice about a month ago gas mileage was dropping as pips were not matching with the Average MPG displayed. Was driving home from out of town & about 50 miles away I was on cruise control and BOOM!!! It turned off the moment the RED TRIANGLE OF DEATH (AKA Master Warning light) and the CHECK ENGINGE LIGHT & VSC LIGHT stayed on with it! I pulled to a turn out right away, turned off car. Checked all around. Turned it on and made this awful whining sound. Now the engine will not turn on, the cluster is lit up like a Xmas tree, where the odometer is there is no 0 or READY. The power button is RED NOT GREEN and on the MFD screen is the RED CAR ICON WITH !. Manual says it is a hybrid battery issue. Car will NOT GO INTO ANY GEARS OR RUN AT ALL. I am scared to spend hundreds on getting it towed to the dealer, and telling me I need a new hybrid battery, expecting them to charge 4,000$ for it. Got it towed to closest shop and they said nothing showed up for codes. PLEASE ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP I AM SO STRESSED AND WORRIED ;(

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Look in the engine compartment fuses and see if you can locate fuse marked "AM2", if that fuse is blown, you have a shorted inverter pump. That would be the best case scenario and isn't too hard to repair.

3. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    THANK YOU I appreciate any help and this is great. Ok I will do all these steps above and could this be a possible DIY issue to be resolved? My car is left almost in the middle of nowhere an hour away and hoping it could be an issue I could fix myself to save on the immense towing costs. Once I get my OBDII scanner in a couple days i will head down there and also check that specific fuse. I appreciate the help and advice!! Thank you!!

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What I'm offering you is a guess of what I believe happened to your car. Like a fortune cookie. If the problem is the pump, it'll be something that will cost around $500 at the dealer. However there was a recall many years ago on this pump, if you haven't completed the recall, then the dealer will do the recall and it'll be no charge. You can check your service history online at Toyota.com (owners portal) and register your car to look up the records. This recall should have happened after 2011 I believe. You can check everything that has happened after 2011 to see if this recall has been done.

To move the car a short distance, you can disconnect the pump (picture shows where) and replace the 10A AM2 fuse. This should allow you to drive the car safely for about 30-40 miles on a cool day.

If you're not very familiar with the car, this will be a moderately difficult DIY job. It involves clamping coolant hoses and replacing an electric pump, and filling the coolant back up when you're done.

But reading your initial post again, I think your problem might be more serious. Just from the awful whining sound you are describing.

( y tapatalk_1552881714083.jpg

#4 JC91006, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The AM2 fuse opening will cause the entire dash and MFD to go dark, along with the car shutting down.

This is one of those times codes need to be read. There are codes there, but the shop must not have used a Prius compatible code reader.

Whining noises are pretty common with variable frequency drives. The inverter is basically a variable speed drive. If it ends up being an inverter failure, they're relatively inexpensive to purchase (used) and a few hours of labor to replace.

Instead of the nearest shop, you may want to locate the nearest hybrid shop. There's a huge difference in knowledge and experience.

6. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    THANK YOU!!! The MFD still has its display when the car is turned on, along with that red car icon with a ! on it. I do not think that car shop had a compatibile reader if nothing came up, especially with all those lights on. Unfortunately where the car is now there are only about 2 other shops there and NO ONE WORKS ON HYBRIDS or electric cars, so I am considering signing up for Triple A for a much cheaper tow than what some of the local tow companies want to charge. Many car shops around here are hesistant to work on hybrids and are suggesting to go straight to the dealer, WHICH IS THE LAST THING I WOULD LIKE TO DO.

9. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I actually looked into a company called Green Bean Battery

For around 1500$, they come to you with Lifetime Warranty REFURBISHED Battery, if it is a hybrid battery problem, I was considering them for sure, as when I spoke to the dealer this past week and asked how much hybrid battery placement would be and they quoted me $3200. OUCH!!
    Any advice or knowledge of Green Bean Battery? They cover the state of CA so I definitely thought about it if that P0A80 code comes up when I go scan it.

#9 KlaustheOriginalHybrid, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2019
  10. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hmm...I did not even know there is an option to increase the HV fan to MAX speed. I still need to familiarize myself with the Torque Pro app and how to understand the PIDs. Definitely worth a shot to check out.

11. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Your buying a used battery that will fail. Get a new one like it did for $1600.
    The refurbished is just a bandaid...... And you have to trade yours in and they throw some used cells in and sell it again. Get a new battery and sell yours on craigslist or ebay.
    These are just suggestions.... not telling anybody what to do....

#11 Tim Jones, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    newpriusbatteries is a kit if NEW cells from @2k1Toaster here. It basically gives you a new battery pack, not a pack repaired with old failing modules. If you DIY this is the best option. The link is in my signature.

Nobody other than Toyota can obtain the OEM modules. All companies such as Green Bean just assemble used, not-yet-filed modules into a pack and label it as refurbished. They are generally no as reliable as a new pack, is spite of their warranty.

13. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hell I will. money is tight and a hundred bucks can be s lot of money. Get the new batteries. After you install the new ones, you can sell the old ones on eBay for like $35 each-ish.

Your about to step on a financial adage/land mine "something about being penny smart and pound foolish."

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How true.....................................

15. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm going to check out that link, because getting a refurbished one for $1500, versus getting a new one for 1600$, may be a much better investment in the long run. And they even will come to you? Is the 1600$ includes labor, etc.?

16. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would the installation of a new battery could be a possible DIY? I know very basic about cars,this idea of selling the cells for extra $ on Ebay sounds great, if installation by myself is possible I want to look into that as well. I am beginner when it comes to DIY car stuff. So I definitely do not want to mess any any serious mechanics of the cars if this is something I plan to do on my own

17. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    CODE CAME UP P0A7A-Powertrain
    Says generator Inverter performance.
    I have no idea what any of this could mean, I am doing my research now.
    Inverter problem?

18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are in the continental United States.
    You then install the kit yourself into your car.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, that code definitely points in a different direction than the battery. I would put any four-figure battery purchases on hold long enough to follow whatever evidence the car is supplying.

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That DTC has 14 sub-codes (309, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 342, 343, 344, 517, 518, 519, 520 and 522), so it would be worth your while to see which one is attached to your code.

Here are 8 workups for13 of these sub-codes that covers all but the 522:

DTC P0A7A/309 Generator Inverter Performance
    DTC P0A7A/321, 323 Generator Inverter Performance
    DTC P0A7A/322 Generator Inverter Performance
    DTC P0A7A/324 Generator Inverter Performance
    DTC P0A7A/325, 517, 518 Generator Inverter Performance
    DTC P0A7A/342, 343, 519 Generator Inverter Performance
    DTC P0A7A/344 Generator Inverter Performance
    DTC P0A7A/520 Generator Inverter Performance

Hope that helps in some way.

#20 dolj, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019