1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP PLEASE!! Triangle of Death w/check engine, VSC & Brake control lights.CAR NOT DRIVING! NO CODES

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KlaustheOriginalHybrid, Dec 6, 2019.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Best of luck to the OP.
    But I'm concerned that if the OP is worried about the cost of towing the vehicle, then almost any repair that might happen is going to be expensive.
    We can hope for a cheap DIY fix, but sometimes that just isn't the case.
    Prius IMO are great vehicles, but they do have some rather expensive components that can fail. In the case of the Hybrid Battery a component that by definition WILL eventually fail.

12 year old Prius. with over 150K? By default you enter the Hybrid Battery "possible" failure zone.
    I agree totally however with this advice:

HOPEFULLY it's anything that might be cheaper than the Hybrid Battery replacement.

Best of Luck.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SFO likes this.
  3. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

THANK YOU!!! This input is a huge asset into getting my car Klaus running again. So what the shop told me after I had it towed back into my town is it needed a new 12volt battery. Before getting it towed the cluster was flashing and the MFD turned off, and about half of the warning lights so it was charged with jumper cables for a bit. I am no mechanic but am seriously considering installing a new 12-volt battery after purchasing one to save some $$$. Also, if the case is not hybrid battery failure like I was expecting it to be, what do you think of the Prolong Battery System to help extend what is left of that 151k plus mileage and the age of the car?

4. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also, another question I meant to ask was how do you find the subcodes? I just purcahsed the BAFX OBII bluetooth along with the app. Just said when scanning fault codes :
    P07A7-Powertrain

How can I dig deeper to find those sub codes to help lead me to other possible problems the car is having?
    Thank you all for your help :)

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm glad if the resolution turns out to be as inexpensive and simple as a new 12 volt battery. I would definitely recommend replacing it.
    You can search or others have better hands on opinions and knowledge about the Prolong Battery System.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might need tech stream for sub codes

what happened after they jumped it, did it run properly?

#27 bisco, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can check in the threads where people have reverse-engineered various PIDs for use with ScanGauge, Torque, etc., to see if they figured out PIDs for the INF codes, at least for some of the computers.

8. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tech stream, I think I came across that when i was looking for compatible scanners for DTC. They said battery wouldn't keep a charge at all and they had to push the car into the shop. I need advice here please, they quoted me 325$ for battery replacement plus labor, is that a little high for that? I know the 12 v batteries aren't too cheap, found them in the 230$ range more or less, I didnt know Priuses used AGM batteries not lead acid for the 12volt, learning something new everyday. I'm checking to see if I even have the proper equipment to do a battery replacement myself. My biggest fear would be to a step wrong and do some serious damage.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    In a gen 3 it's in the trunk and all you need it a 10 mm wrench.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if i could do it, anyone can. get a direct replacement. either oem (don't be afraid to ask for a discount. i paid $200 + tax) or auto parts stores or batteries plus bulbs stores.

it's a little tighter than working under the hood, but no big deal. remove the hatch carpet and floor covers,
    pull the vent tube off of the old battery, remove the hold down strap, negative terminal, positive terminal.

swap batteries and reverse the order.

11. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is it on the passenger side?

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is on the RHS.

What is your experience with Gen 2's?

13. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    zero

14. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's in the trunk rear right hand side. I have never done before and hesitant I can do it correctly but I think I should try at least and give it a shot. I was looking into the Optima brand but any other recommendations? I read axle addict blog for DIY Prius second gen work and found a step by step article on battery replacement and torque news for advice on hybrids

15. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just called O'Reilly's to see if they have the battery in stock and they do batteries with free installation. That helps as I dont have much tools and I would want to watch so I can learn for next time.

16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They may balk once they see a prius, best to confirm and be willing to patiently wait around if needed. Might help if you offer to do the pre and post removal stuff yourself, as that can save them some away from the counter time.

17. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    UPDATE: 2008 TOYOTA PRIUS
    I am in a stuck situation, so the transmission is slipping, causing that horrible whining sound. I am SOL on this and seriously considering trading it in, but know I will not get hardly anything for it. The car does turn on but is in lit mode. Makes the same exact noise as when it first died on me, like it was coming from under the hood. Could barely make it around the block and is basically not drivable. The gas pedal was reving on its own and could not go faster than 20 mph. Check engine light came on with multiple codes besides the P0A7A, and that still came back up on once the other codes were erased. Stuck in a financial situation and considering taking out a loan to help pay for a new car.

18. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This sounds like a traction battery issue. It is physically impossible for a Prius "transmission" to slip. Unless somehow the splines on the input shaft got stripped, which is something I've never heard of happening.

What are these multiple codes? That's the most important info of all. But as old as the car is, trading it in isn't the worst idea in the world.

SFO likes this.
  19. KlaustheOriginalHybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am just wondering is it worth spending the several thousand to replace the transmission?? With all the labor costs stacked on top? it was burning oil the past month I drove it, and also when I got the tune-up, they found oil contamination in the first cylinder, so I'm wondering will that be a whole engine issue on top of what already is happening?

Attached Files: