1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help please with brake mystery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by chico, May 20, 2017.

1. chico

chico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    -I have a 2013 Prius
    -The rear driver side disc brake was squealing at low speeds and hot after a drive so I looked at the rear brakes.
    -Rear driver side pad was worn to the metal but only in the outside pad. Inside was quite new. I replaced both pads.
    -Rear passenger side pads looked new and sliding caliper pin was stuck. I left the old pads and unstuck/cleaned/lubed the caliper pins.
    -I didn't lube anything else.

-The rear driver side rotor still runs hot and my mileage seems way worse than before.
    - I checked that I lined up the brake pad pin with the Piston.

-Should I lubricate the channels the brake pads slide in? Do I need to worry about that getting on the rotor?

-If a pin is stuck will the caliper on the other side over-compensate and only on the outer pad?

-I'm confused.

-Maybe I need to clean the housing for the previously stuck pin better?

-Maybe the breaks just need to settle?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. what grease do you use for the pins?
    2. Mendel Leisk will show you the mandatory picture how to adjust rear calipers before putting brakes together. you can search for it too.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How many miles on your Prius? Could it be a wheel bearing issue that might be creating the heat and taking your mileage down?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like all your caliper pins are lubed now? What did you use for lube, btw?

I would not lube the "channels the brake pads slide in". By that I think you mean at the two ends of the pads? There's not much point to that, and it might well get on the rotors.

There is something strange going on, if drivers side pad (outer pad, opposite the piston) is down to metal, and side at the piston is near-new. I would expect the opposite, if the caliper pins were sticking, and/or the pin was misaligned with the piston pattern.

Also very strange, that passenger side pads (both inner and outer) look near-new.

It is possible I think, to align the pin on back of inner pad with the gap between spokes on the piston face, but then have it slip. You want to do the alignment, then assemble everything, then tromp the brakes multiple times to get it well seated, then hook up the 12 volt again, then go for a short test drive, and only then apply the parking brake. Gently, lol.

It it application of the parking brake that attempts to rotate the piston, screwing things up. I think. You really want to ensure it's aligned and seated, before parking brake being applied.

I'm not sure: maybe you're ok on the passenger side? The problems are still evident on drivers side: running hot. Something to try:

Raise the whole rear end, maybe on safety stands to be safe. With parking brake released try spinning both rear wheels. See how they feel. I'd suspect passenger side is ok, and drivers side is dragging badly. A slight drag is normal I think, but you should be able to spin the wheel and it'll go at least one revolution easily.

Then, have someone pressing and releasing the brake pedal while you try spinning them some more. Does the passenger side lock up ok? And the driver's side? (I'm kind of wonderring: could the passenger side be completely non-functioning, the caliper piston seized somehow.)

Almost sounds like the passenger side is not applying properly, what with the pads looking near-new. Not sure.

One thing, if it was pad pin misalignement with the spoke pattern on piston, you would see bevelled wear on the pad. The outer edge of pad would be worn down, tapering to no wear by maybe the center of the pad, due to the piston apply force only to that pin, at the outer edge of pad.

bisco likes this.
  6. chico

chico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the normal orange stuff for lube. I'll check the brand when I get home.
    Yes all pins lubed.

I was asking about lubing the channels beside the pads because I was surprised how hard they were to put in...needed to tap them with a wrench a little but maybe that's normal.
    I lined up the pin but didn't try your special technique although I think I did that exact method. So I'll give that and spinning the wheels a go tomorrow.
    When you say parking brake do you mean the P button or the foot lever?

The old outer rear driver side pad was worn by far the worst at the top but there are marks on the pad from where the caliper piston straddled the pin nicely. I'll post an image tomorrow after my tests.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you imprint of the piston spoke pattern straddling the pin that sounds good.

By brake I meant foot brake, maybe called emergency brake in states.

Yeah maybe raising and turning wheels will reveal something.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those channels beside the pads have (or should have) springy, stamped metal inserts (found at the dealer as the "fitting kit", which includes four of the little stampings, enough to do both rear calipers, and also four of the little V springs that sit above the pads to spread them out).

The fitting-kit stampings do not use extra lube (which would just be a place for road grit to stick), but they come already coated with a dry, Teflon-like surface.

When I replaced mine, I literally had to hold my pads together with one hand while putting the caliper back in place with the other, because otherwise the pads would slide right apart because of the V springs above them. So I guess that's what should be normal. :)

-Chap

9. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I
    would question those 2 items. Only special (non-mineral) grease is compatible with rubber and no force is needed to put pads in.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I was wondering about "orange stuff" too.

I've been using Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant for the pins. Just recently re-applied it to the front brake caliper pins, about 30K kms since last application, and it appears to have held up fine, is performing ok.

11. chico

chico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I use permatex silicone ceramic brake lubricant.

[I dont know how to put in a second quote to respond to Chapman]. When I push my brake pads in(I do have new channel plates with my new wagner thermoquiet pads) it definitely does not slide in nicely on any pad and the v pins are not nearly strong enough to push them back away from the rotor on any pad with new or old pins. I could not push hard enough with my hands to get either the new pads or the old pads to make it to the rotor either. I had to hit the pads with my wrench. Maybe this is bad?

I drove about 200 km yesterday and my mileage is still low but the one side no longer seems hot. Which is good?

Both rear wheels spin about a half turn if I spin really hard. engaging the brakes stops both wheels from being able to turn by hand.

IMG_20170521_125809.jpg
    Here are the pads. you can see the nice piston mark and the beveled wear of the outer pad.

Also here is my rotor if it's interesting.
    IMG_20170515_120756.jpg

#11 chico, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your outer pad looks like my inner pad, when I messed up on the piston orientation, first time I looked at the rears: definitely bevelled wear, down to the backing plate on the outer edge, and about 4~5 mm at the inner edge. The wear's reflected on the rotor picture, looks near untouched at the inner portion.

You say your pads are Wagner, but I see they have toyota logo on the back? Strange that they are so hard to shift when installed. I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "slide in" or "push back". I get the sense it's a tight fit, that maybe these bits are a bit too long, due to being aftermarket:

upload_2017-5-21_10-49-49.png

Jamming??

OEM pads are just snug, easily lifted out of or placed into the caliper bracket:

upload_2017-5-21_10-52-29.png

13. chico

chico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for confusion. Old pads are the originals. New pads are Wagner's.

Regarding 'pushing out' etc comments:
    Taking out the old oem pads and putting in the new wagner pads is definite effort. Like I wanted to use a hammer gently amount of effort.
    Enough that when I get the pads in against the rotors the v spring pins definitely don't push the pads back out

Edit for typo

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you tell where the resistance is? I'm thinking the "lobes" on the ends. They're the only thing really touching: has to be. The anti-rattle clips they directly contact look ok?

15. chico

chico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely the lobes. I tried the new pads with the old clips and new clips (which came with the pads) and both felt the same. Getting the old pads out was incredibly hard as well.

Should I grind them down??

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That sounds abnormal. I'd be curious what happens with a new fitting kit and pad set bought from a Toyota dealer.

-Chap

17. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just rotated my tires and did the thorough brake inspection this weekend. First thorough brake inspection since I bought this car 10,000 miles ago. Nothing was seized on my brakes. All the brake pads came out by hand, but were very snug. The existing grease on the pins was between clear to a slight redish color. I greased them with white lithium grease. The rubber grease boots were in good shape. The pads themselves were all evenly worn and more than 1/2 pad material left on them (just visual approximation). I applied a thin layer of silver aluminum anti-seize to the lobes on the brake pads and they seemed to slide more smoothly in the channels. I pushed the front pistons back in about 1/4" and turned the rear pistons back in one notch (1/4 turn).

I did all this with the negative battery disconnected. Then pumped the brake pedal until hard before reconnecting the negative battery cable. Operated the brakes under power a couple times, pumped the parking brake 4 times on and off. Everything seems to be great. On my 40 mile drive to work this morning, I averaged 55 mpg and my long time average has been 49 mpg. The weather took a major turn for the warmer this weekend, so that probably helped boost the gas mileage.

18. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You better go back now and regrease the pins with proper grease. Mineral oil will swell the rubber and jam the calipers.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And what do you think is the proper grease to use?

20. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think, I know for sure. Answer is in the factory manual. A lot of people get away with silicone grease.