1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help please with my old Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Eugeneslagle, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Eugeneslagle

Eugeneslagle New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is my second post, I'm sorry if my first one didn't have the right info or something but I'm having this issue with my 2006 Prius.

I'm thinking that I need another replacement battery because I'm getting p3000, p0a0f & p0a80 codes, if I replace the battery assembly it will be a third time doing so, so I'm hoping someone can help me before I simply hope for a warranty or drop another $1500.00 for another Dorman unit.

First time I had a battery issue was at 266000 miles at about July 2017, replaced it in November.

Second time was similar issue as now but with 276000 miles during July 2018, called Fisher Auto Parts that I got it from & warranty replaced it, also verified that no cooling issues & can command the battery cooling fan in all speeds.

Now with 293000 miles I'm having the same issue.

Any pointers that I may not have looked at?
    Is there issues with Dorman batteries?

Help, I normally work on Chevrolet cars & trucks so I thought I've covered everything, maybe not.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, sorry for your troubles!

unfortunately, you are caught up in the revolving wheel of reconditioned batteries.

they do not last because all the cells are old except for the replacements, and the older ones will keep failing over time.
    you can buy a new oems pack for $2-3,000. or a new aftermarket pack for under $2,000. shipped.

these are your best options once your warranty is up on the dorman.

don't buy another dorman or any other rebuilt battery pack if you're going to keep the car long term.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now that i see the response to your other thread, i'm thinking you are looking for a different answer,

but there is no other, the rest of your car is fine. (other than the 300,000 miles)

4. Eugeneslagle

Eugeneslagle New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you, I was afraid of that.

My first thread I now see has replies, but for some reason it tells me that I'm not able to to reply to it.

Looks like my wife & I will have to think long & hard to see if it's worth it to make a new purchase or just seem it as is & get our daughter something else to drive.

Thanks again.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would look around for a low cost corolla and etc, old prius have high repair costs and few places that understand them.

6. KevininFl

KevininFl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You could try a grid charger and discharger from Hybrid Automotive or Maxx Volts.I would go this route$.

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you search around you can get a new factory battery for 1600 internet price. That would go around 10 years. They also sell new battery kits here for 1600. You can sell the good battery’s out of your existing battery and recover some of that cost. I would suggest that as you won’t find a decent car for that price.

Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells | PriusChat

8. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    293k miles? This has been a durable car. I've been in your shoes before (assuming you are original owner). You have gotten attached to a reliable car.

I originally thought that the math wouldn't make sense to consider such a large repair. But, as per kbb shown here, a new OEM battery could bring the price up to $4,800, with the right buyer. OTOH, a refurbished battery could make the Prius unattractive to an experienced buyer, due to the warranty and reliability problems.

Also, check out LKQ, here, for used auto parts. IIRC, some board members have successfully used them for engines and batteries.

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you first purchased your Dorman in July 2017 then it is still under warranty.