1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help possible Prius buyer, couple questions on load, FE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lilbilly, Jan 7, 2012.

1. lilbilly

lilbilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at buying a Prius (gen 2) and have a couple questions. I drive around 400+ miles per week for work and as my beater is on it's last leg, I think a Prius would be a smart buy for me. 2 things that I am concerned with.

I will have to lug around some equipment in the back seat and trunk. I've never weighed it all, but possibly around 400 lbs. Also, there are quite a few hills here in NC and the summers are hot. I am in and out of the car all day, with 10-20 stops for appointments anywhere from 20-45 minutes long.

With all these factors combined, will these cause problems for the vehicle? Also, what kind of real world mileage can I expect?

Thanks guys, hoping to be a Prius owner very soon!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no prolemo, you should get 35-40 mpg's!

3. lilbilly

lilbilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    eh, only 35-40? 40 mpg is ok, but if its 35 my reason to purchase (savings) is dwindling.

My estimates are that 40 mpg will save me around $120 bucks per month. However, if that number gets much lower, it gets less attractive.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's hard to say for sure. depends a lot on the temp. whe you start out that many times, the engine has to run for awhile. and the cooler it is, the more it runs. the weight probably won't cost you more than 4-5 mpg's. and, of course, it depends on your driving habits and how desirous you are to learn hypermiling techniques.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What other non-hybrid car will actually yield even 35 mpg in those circumstances? How does it compare in interior volume and features?

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I carry this around with me everywhere:

[​IMG]

I weigh 360 pounds myself, before you weigh my cargo

In the Winter, 40 MPG, in Summer 42 MPG, Spring and Fall 48 MPG.

The Mississippi Delta is very flat, so I am not able to help much, but two trips to the Great Smokeys including driving the Tail of the Dragon went very well.

7. lilbilly

lilbilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am comparing mileage from what I get now. Right now I have no payment at all. Buying a used Prius will land me a payment around $300. Which is alot higher than what I would prefer, however, I am looking at how much my fuel savings will offset that monthly payment. The lower my fuel savings goes, the less attractive the purchase looks to me.

I'm a 150 soaking wet, so you got me there... :D Swap all your stuff out for cable equipment (boxes, cables, modems, etc) and your trunk looks like mine.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I can really recommend that MT-17 ladder. (and do, one of the images on Amazon is my avatar)
    http://www.amazon.com/Werner-MT-17-300-Pound-Telescoping-Multi-Ladder/dp/B0000VYDHK

I have had to loan mine to my Cable Tech when his bucket truck can't reach the building roof. <G>

9. lilbilly

lilbilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That ladder looks awesome. However, I am lucky enough to be half sales, half tech AND only work apartment complexes... no ladders required.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Save up until you can pay cash.

11. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my prius struggled thru the rockies, the problem is the battery will only allow itself to get around 75-80% full on that flat stretches of road so that when its time to go up the next steep incline the battery drains quickly and now that underpowered engine has to lug the car, you, the cargo, and the heavy battery by itself, a very tall order. But that's mountains, a Prius will shine in your NC hills as you may only get 15-20mpg going up and then the engine will shut off on the way down and you'll get over 100mpg and the regen brakes will fill your battery back up to full for free (thanks Gravity)

someone showed you a picture of carrying around a bunch of junk in the trunk but they have not talked about weight, this is one of the things that angers me about the prius. I have 2 prius, a corolla and prism which is also basically a corolla and I can tell you from person experience that all 4 vehicles have similar rear suspension which means even though the prius cargo area is 2x larger than the corolla it can't hold any more weight, when I go to home depot I have to stop by my mother's house to trade for her foreseter, so the prius would be great for delivering flowers, but 450 pounds in the trunk is just too much for any 4 cylinder economy car, that's not upsetting on a sedan but for hatchbacks and station wagons these car manufacturers need to beef up the rear suspension it is cruel to tease us with all that room.

12. qdogfball

qdogfball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where in NC are you talking about?

Asheville? Charlotte? Mt Airy?

If you are taking the back roads and the non improved back highways, you will get between 35-45 mpg.. if you are on improved (ie not so steep ups and downs) Highways, you can get 40-50 mpg.

13. lilbilly

lilbilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be on improved roads in and around Raleigh. I think the hills are a lot because I am a Midwest transplant. My driving will be 75/25 city/highway with anywhere from 8-20 stops for appointments. So that's also a lot of stops and restarts.

14. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If it is any comfort, there is an outstanding hybrid shop near you in Sanford, Taylor Automotive. You'd never need to take it to a dealership except for free warranty/recall work.

15. lilbilly

lilbilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    good to know! not a big fan of taking cars to the dealership for work!

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For comparison, what are the load capacities of the Gen2 Prius and the Forester? I don't have numbers for those cars, but my Subaru Legacy GT wagon (almost an Outback, bigger than a Forester of the same era) is rated only 100 pounds higher than my Gen3 Prius. 925 vs 825 pounds.

In fact, my four most recent cars have all been 4 cylinder hatchbacks or wagons with very similar load capacities. They all handle(d) best with the heaviest items placed towards the middle, not the very back.

As for mountains such as the Rockies, Gen2 drivers seem to have varying opinions. Some have the same problem you did, while others sail over with full loads and no problem. I suspect the successful ones were using all-ICE from the base of the hill, knowing the electric boost cannot possibly last all the way up 5000 foot climbs. Almost all of us with the larger Gen3 engine have no problems climbing those mountains.

PS. Other sources show the Forester of similar vintage as my Legacy being rated for 900 pound loads. The 2009 Prius is rated only 10% less, 810 pounds.

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've driven my Gen II Prius through the Rockies, packed to the gills with camping and climbing gear, and had no trouble at all. I averaged 50 mpg while doing it. It takes a little restraint. If you just blast up the first part of a mountain you will creep the rest of the way. If you pace it like a big truck, you can sail right up to the top.

Tom

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Given the total distance you mentioned in the opening post I take it that many of the trips (between stops) will only about 5 miles or less. This is the real MPG killer, but it does depend upon how long the stop is. Especially during the shorter 20 minute stops the engine should retain a decent amount of heat and perhaps the efficiency wont be too bad. You might manage 45 to 50 MPG (without the stop you'd probably be able to get over 50).

BTW lilbilly, you didn't mention what MPG your current car gets on this route. It would be interesting to know.

19. lilbilly

lilbilly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My current car is a 93 Taurus. Probably gets 20-22 city, over the summer I got 30 Hwy driving 70 mph.

20. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A most unexciting car, but the cast iron Vulcan V6 proved to be an exceptionally reliable motor. It's not a wonder that 90s Taurus are dirt cheap, because so many are still on the road.

1 person likes this.