1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! Power window switch blinking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Huibin, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Huibin

Huibin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am Prius owner in Beijing, China. I just changed defective 12v battery yesterday and discovered that my power windows did not function very well.
    The power window switch (Auto button) does not work. When pull up the button, the windows does not come up, the windows can be reversed when the button is held down. The auto button starts to blink.

I restart the Prius and hardly pull up the power window switch, the windows finally come up but auto button still be blinking.

I will go to Toyota dealer to check whether the power window button is dead or just a software error. Does anyone encounter the same situation as above described?

Thanks a lot!

Huibin

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hold and keep holding the power window lever upwards for like 5 seconds or so... you need to recalibrate the switch so the auto feature will work...

Kyankov likes this.
  3. prius729

prius729 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Bob64, I'll be filing that info away incase I need it later because I did not know that.

4. Huibin

Huibin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Bob. I may still need to check the power window switch blinking error. The dealer informed me that the switch need to be replaced.:(

5. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm betting that the blinking is telling you the Auto function is not working, and once you perform the re-calibration, the light stops blinking. :thumb:

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Huibin,

To recalibrate the driver's window auto function, lower the window so that it is halfway open. Then close the window by holding the window switch, and continue to hold the switch for several seconds after the window has closed. After you complete that procedure, the auto function should be restored.

Who is the manufacturer of your original 12V auxiliary battery? Did you buy the same brand, or a different replacement battery?

Are many Prius sold in China? Yours is the first post that I have noticed.

7. Huibin

Huibin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thank you for everyone's prompt information!

I bought the Prius last September, however, my Prius was manufactured in Jan 2007 in China. Therefore, my battery does not maintain good performance as the car was stored in the Toyota dealer for quite a long time. I encounter several start up difficulties as the battery can not provide enough start-up voltage (lower than 10 V). The Toyota dealer decide to replace a brand new battery with free of charge (the car is under warranty period) after examine my original battery. I've checked that the defective and new battery are all Toyota genuine part.

Toyota started to launch Prisu in China in May 2006. 85% of essential parts are imported from Japan and rest 15% are PRC-origin parts (tyre, plastic parts), Toyota is entitled to enjoy incentive taxation policy under this structure. As most of the parts are imported, so that the Prius has much higher price than normal vehicle. Prius only has three configuration as follows:

Cloth seat without Navigation: RMB 282000
    Leather seat without Navigation: RMB 298000
    Leather seat with Navigation: RMB 318000

Due to the high price and very low cognition degree for hybrid vehicle in China, the annual Prius sales is not exceeding 1000 units.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, Huibin! It is unfortunate that the Prius is so expensive in PRC. It could help some with the air pollution. Glad to have you here on PriusChat.

9. eurosteve

eurosteve Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Checked RMB 282,000, and it looks like $39,822. Does that sound right to everyone? Wow, that's a lot of $$!

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Huibin,

Thanks for the update and the info about Prius being built in China. You are a true pioneer with your Prius purchase. Which other Toyota models are being sold?

I had traveled to Beijing several times back in the late 90's for business. At that point the Buick Century and an Audi sedan built under a Chinese brand name seemed to be very popular, and I did not note any Toyota presence. Looks like the auto market has changed substantially over the last decade.

Did you decide that your power window switch is still faulty?

11. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree, that's a lot of dough!
    Imagine the Prius w/Pkg 6 is near $45k in China.

What's the point of buying a Prius then?
    Lower operating cost is not a valid reason, the overhead is too much to begin with.

That's why OP said so:
    "Due to the high price and very low cognition degree for hybrid vehicle in China, the annual Prius sales is not exceeding 1000 units."

12. Huibin

Huibin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Toyota lost the chance to work with China government on development China's auto industry at the first beginning (80's). Toyota denied to transfer technology and establish first auto joint venture. However, Volkswagens agree to work with China government and then two joint ventures were established with two auto group in China, i.e., First Auto Group and Shanghai Auto Group. VW start to introduce Jetta and Santana afterwards.

After around 10 years, China auto market is booming, more foreign auto groups establish their joint venture (GM, FIAT, CITTERON ) with other China's small auto group and Toyota discovered that sedan market is controlled by VW and other foreign auto brand. Toyota made final decision to establish Toyota JV in china. It's a hard time to set up Toyota's China strategies and determine the product line because it is too late. That's the reason why we can find the presence of Toyota brand from time to time at that period.

Now, Toyota decide to introduce more recent product into China' market to supplement their product line. The current product line of Toyota covers: sedan (VIOS, Corolla, Crown, Reiz), SUV (Land cruiser, Prado), CUV(RAV4) MPV(Coaster), Hybrid (Prius). As Prius is not main profit autos in China, so Toyota adopts high price policy and only target to some special personnel who like new technology or environment protection or like to make a great figure :doh:.

I found the power windows error on the way to airport, so that I have no chance to reset my power windows until this Friday. Will keep you post the result when I back to BJ.

13. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i thought that all you had to do was roll it down all the way, roll it up all the way.. down.. then up.. and it works. i used to do it to my parents rx400h because the 12v died...

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info on the Toyota product line, which is a very wide vehicle range.

I like your comment about Prius market positioning in China. Your car must be quite unique. If you have photos of your car (especially the interior with Chinese language labeling) I am sure that group members would enjoy seeing them.

Prius is relatively expensive in Europe as well and the volumes sold are correspondingly small (compared to the US where ~175K units are sold annually.)

I haven't noticed other posters reporting a power window problem, and hope you will find the initialization procedure works.

15. Huibin

Huibin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Power windows restored base on the instructions from the forum.

Thanks a lot!!

Thank God It is God's Friday!

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    G'day Huibin and a late welcome to PC.
    Good to see the windows are sorted.
    Must be quite a stretch to buy a Prius in China? I thought they were expensive here but not compared to China. I hope the price comes down and the level of acceptance goes up, I think China along with the rest of the world needs to move to cleaner transport. This is particularly important in a place like Beijing where it is so crowded and pollution is already high.

Pictures of you Prius would be great and as said earlier, the Chinese labelling will be interesting to see.

17. Chris_hitman_Hearn

Chris_hitman_Hearn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius and have had the same problem. Of the 4 switches the only one not blinking was the driver window. Even the window switches on the front passenger and rear doors were blinking too.

I did the following and it worked

Open all the windows (with their own switches), when open the light on each respective window switch stops flashing. Then close the windows, again with their own switches. This appears to clear the problem and then when you check the drivers 4 switch cluster the lights are all steady again and hey presto all the windows can be controlled by the driver. Hope this helps

18. cameljok

cameljok New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not an expert but I would guess that with the population size, the country could not handle everyone having a car.

19. valilieff

valilieff New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you people for the post this procedure seems to work on all toyota cars. I just fixed the windows on the land Cruiser which were blinkig. I lowered all four windows , raised them up and held several seccond on the button after closure. Now the four way switch is working and is opening all three windows which previously it could't.

Thank you agin

20. jimatlowry

jimatlowry New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same problem today on 2012 Prius v. Followed this procedures and it worked, thank you!

vkbmt and Driver Desiree like this.