1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Prius 2007 160k hybrid battery failure RLOD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by HighPriiest, May 10, 2022.

1. HighPriiest

HighPriiest New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yesterday wife got RLOD on Prius 2007, and it disappeared today...a local hybrid battery tech can swap my bad modules for $599 with 1 year warranty. Is it worth it?

Wife said she was on a call and sat in the car with A/C on for about 30 min and when she took off the RLOD came on, and the back vent started blowing hard. Took it to autozone to check codes. The vehicle has about 160k miles and the codes P3024 - battery block 14 is weak, C1310, C1256, C1259 appeared on scanner. I'm pretty handy and was wondering if paying this guy is worth it or is this something I could easily (reasonably) fix myself?I was planning to get a Bluetooth OBD scanner and Dr. Prius and determine which modules need to be replaced. I know YouTube has various guides but who sells reputable modules?

Alternatively I thought about GreenBean new battery pack with lifetime warranty for 1.5k
    Thanks!!

Meg&Bear and rayluo like this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's the difference between rebuilding battery packs like GreenBean does or buying brand new. If you have no problem swapping packs every 3 month to 3 years each time a module fails, GreenBean might be worthwhile. But if you want to fix it and forget, as well as boost overall performance of the electrical systems with the best lithium technology then spend $2K on one of these: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

And if you use that link, which is my affiliate link, I can offer you all the tech support you need for installation and beyond!

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There are a few other options than GreenBean and the lithium guy, namely a new OEM Toyota battery or a GreenTec (not GreenBean) with new cells. You have to shop around these days but it may be worth your while. The OEM option is the least hassle but may be a bit more expensive.

Meg&Bear and rayluo like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    depends,
    how many miles on her? how long do you want to keep her?

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    RTOD.

$599 is your basic whack a mole repair there just installing same vintage cells that have just not failed yet. Basic tail light warranty.
    Hope you have AAA.

use the Search Forums link up top and search

Hybrid battery

Hundreds maybe thousands at this point of posts from people in your shoes. Read up...and lots of youtubes on Prius gen 2 battery rebuilds.

Meg&Bear and barbie.gee like this.
  6. rayluo

rayluo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I am not the OP, but I happen to also drive a Prius 2007, run into the same RLOD (a.k.a. RTOD Red Triangle Of Death?) appear-disappear situation even at around the same time, and now the RTOD comes back with an accompanying P3014. My Prius has low mileage, only 120k miles, and I intend to keep her for as long as she could.

During my research, I found another company named Hybrid2Go who provides similar lifetime warranty and mobile installation, for only 1.3k, but they only operate in 4 states at west coast.

Disclaimer: I am NOT endorsing their product, because I haven't made my move yet. I'm just sharing some information for those in the same boat.

Hi Camper, thanks for your input. I understand that companies like GreenBean are selling refurbished battery, so I know the "every 3 months to 3 years" risk. But at the same time, their warranty suggests that, when a battery failure happens, we would just need to make an appointment and then a mobile technician will show up (presumably within a day or two, based on their appointment feature on their website) and take care of the swap job. If all I need to invest is a one-time $1500 upfront cost, and then each subsequent warranty claim would only take me a phone call albeit with an inconvenient one-day-or-two downtime, wouldn't it still be easy?

As a comparison, it seems those companies who sell new battery, would require DIY installation (and subsequent swap, should the unlikely warranty claim occur). Those are the labor that I would need to invest in. That being said, I am not ruling out the new battery route. Which brings me to my next topic.

Strangely, that website has frequent updates on their news page, so they seem still operating, but all their battery products are marked as sold-out. Their website simply does not accept new order. Camper, do you happen to know what is going on there?

Meg&Bear likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you priced oem batteries, or labor for a 'newpriusbatteries'?

Meg&Bear likes this.
  8. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    have you cleaned the hybrid battery fan? That is a free......well worth it investment in your car.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  9. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Ancel Bhagwandeen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Just swapping a few bad blocks is a crutch. It ain't a solution. Further, placing good blocks amidst other mediocre blocks also creates a new problem of block voltage imbalance and possibly new 'artificial' error codes soon.

You need to have the whole battery pack balanced; This means 1) Voltage, 2) Internal Resistance & 3) Ah capacity; all need to be similar for all the 7.2V blades.
    Then u have another 150K miles b4 a battery issue.

Because of this demand I am designing a new, improved solution based on a patent that is becoming public domain tech. in a few months.
    The solution will not only execute the above 3 times, but will ALSO have the option to upgrade the ECU to automatically balance the pack while u drive with an IoT linkup to the service center so they will know the condition of your HV battery at any time via remote diagnostics.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  10. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When it’s available let us know

Meg&Bear likes this.
  11. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Ancel Bhagwandeen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Certainly.....
    Regarding the approach to put a lithium battery in as a new replacement assumes that lithium batteries have the lifetime of the proven NiMH batteries. This is not the case, it is a hopeful assumption. When ppl make assumptions and then use that to advise others in need of a solution we have a dangerous cocktail of the blind leading the needy.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  12. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Like the Rav4 Prime with a lithium battery, the replacement lithium batteries are extremely popular and are backordered. The argument that lithium won't be long lived must be news to Toyota who warrant their factory lithium for ten years or 150,000 miles.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The difference is a factory fitted lithium batterries will have a factory fitted BMS that is matched to lithium.

Meg&Bear and Another like this.
  14. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Exactly.
    What’s unclear to me is how much efficiency and/or life may be lost by swapping a Li for NiMH pack with the stock computer software that is still trying to optimize performance and life using the NiMH constraints. Maybe the battery guys can comment.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  15. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    More for the rest of us

#15 rjparker, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022