1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Prius died and won’t go

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eminar17, Apr 6, 2023.

1. eminar17

eminar17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My husband was driving my car tonight and he said it started to feel like it was losing power. He pulled over and the car wouldn’t go again. It starts but I can’t get it to change gear. The tow truck driver was able to put it in neutral. It has a lot of warning lights on. It has the check engine light, the red triangle, a circle with an exclamation point, and on the screen, there’s a red car with an exclamation mark on it. I’m going to tow it to a shop tomorrow but what does it sound like it could be?

2. eminar17

eminar17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These are the lights on the dash. The tire pressure sensor is broken so that light has been on. And it’s overdue for an oil change

Attached Files:

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Inverter coolant pump about 140 dollar pump unit plus install .sounds and looks like the am fuse needs to be checked.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The check engine light has stored an error code that will indicate what's wrong. Most auto parts stores will read the code for free. Or you can buy one of these devices, which will allow you to connect your phone to the car and read and clear the codes yourself by using Dr Prius or Car Scanner app: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus It's a great thing to have in your glove box to keep you from getting stuck on the side of the road.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buy one of these on Amazon you just plug it in and it will show you all the codes. I own one of these they work great. You can then google the codes.

Or post them on this site. Until then its all a guess.

And over due for an oil change on this site usually means its really low on oil. Did the car run out of gas?

6. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    that scanner will not read all the computer modules in a Prius, it's just an Enhnance OBD2 scanner.. not sure if it can read ABS and HV module. For extra $$ just buy a dongle or an Autel MaxiAP.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Forgot to add will not pull hybrid codes. I usually do. Dongle and whatever I recommend this device as its very easy for the person who has never done this before. And its cheap.