1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Prius not booting up properly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by alokeprasad, Sep 23, 2013.

1. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Not sure. I just don't like leaving anything on while the car is off, knowing the draw is from the little 12V and particularly because I have a commute of 3.7 miles each way.

So, whenever I park, I go thru this routine that I developed a habit of:

1. Hit "P"
    2. Apply the foot parking brake.
    3. Release my foot on the brake pedal (so brake lights in the rear are no longer lighting).
    4. Switch off all other electricals such as the head lights, dome lights, visor lights and such.
    5. Then switch off the car.

Then when I get back into the car, I delay placing my foot on the brake pedal until I am ready to press the start button and switch-on all electricals and such only after "starting" the car.

Certainly a message would be nice, in addition to proactive management of the 12V discharge, as noted in the thread in my signature.

2. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I notice the light on the door panel is dim when I open the door on a gen 2 Prius with a weak 12v. As an auto mechanic I have replaced numerous Prius 12v batteries. They are easily ruined. If you leave something on and kill the battery once or twice it will never recover the original capacity when it gets recharged. Another thing is that driving the car around for 20-30 minutes will not fully charge a dead prius 12v after a jump start. It is better and more fuel efficient to use a 12v charger and recharge it completely after it has gone dead.