1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Prius overheating light and losing coolant!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by preeeuss, Feb 12, 2023.

1. preeeuss

preeeuss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Aqua
    Model:
    Five
    Hey everyone, our 2011 Prius keeps having a flashing overheating light with coolant loss from expansion tank. I’ve been reading for hours and can’t seem to figure out how to diagnose it it’s a cap problem, thermostat or water pump problem and don’t want to blow up our engine. It leaks small amounts of coolant and runs great but it happens daily for about 10-20 seconds and the light disappears afterwards. Here’s some photos to show the leakage. Please help us fix our car! Thanks in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check that the bleeder cap is fully tighten. I changed coolant the other day, while refilling, coolant constantly leaked out. The bleeder cap wasn’t all the way in and coolant exited that direction

3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How many miles or km on your Prius?

I would guess that your water pump is going bad. I recommend that you replace it with an OEM pump.

Once you fix your overheating problem, please come back and report what you did to fix the problem.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    With the proper software you can see and feel what your water pump is doing and if it's not you can read what it's supposed to be doing like you can see the RPM of your water pump with the proper software connected to the car If you look here on various posts you'll see what goes on with the water pump at reasonable mileage The plastic starts to come off the impeller piece that floats in the body of the pump It kind of works like a washing machine pump out pump a modern one the impeller is not connected to the shaft of an electric motor the impeller is the rotating part of that assembly and some mag drive type of pump if you will they get eaten up internally when you take your old one off and you take the silver cover off the back side of it and withdraw the impeller you'll see all the plastic cracking and peeling and it can't even rotate in the hole it sits in when you get a new pump you won't have to take it apart you'll be able to spin that impeller with your hand or your finger or a screwdriver which you can't do on the pump you're taking out right now or if you can you can barely move it because it's all stuck and screwed up internally and you'll see that when you undo it obviously the new one won't be like that The cheap replacements the impeller is wrapped and very cheap plastic that starts to fall apart within a month of it being installed on your engine I verified this and did this twice Good luck.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds like a failed head gasket

6. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're really going to want to get a good mechanic to run diagnostics on it....could be horrible news or something minor and fixable. This could be one of those times you go to the dealership to get them to use their very expensive TechStream to diagnose. Keep us posted!

7. preeeuss

preeeuss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Aqua
    Model:
    Five
    I just checked and I don’t even have a bleeder cap mine is just exposed could that be the issue?

8. preeeuss

preeeuss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Aqua
    Model:
    Five
    I just hit 212,000miles. I will have to check who can scan it and will report back. I do not have a check engine light and the oil is clean.

9. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the water pump has not previously been replaced, I am 95% sure that it is going bad and needs to be replaced to fix your overheating problem. It would also be a good time to replace the thermostat and use new coolant when you fill it.

Xterra72 likes this.
  10. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It does not sound like a failed head gasket to me, but overheating of the engine can lead to a head gasket failure.

11. preeeuss

preeeuss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Aqua
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you i just ordered a new waterpump and thermostat with 2 gallons of coolant to change it this weekend and will report back

bisco and Xterra72 like this.
  12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Without the cap, air pressure will rush out including coolant thus no pressure for coolant to push through. When I filled coolant back to the b line, some of it spilled out of the bleed cap. It’s a black cap shaped like a tire stem cap but rubber material.

13. preeeuss

preeeuss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Aqua
    Model:
    Five
    can you link me to the bleeder cap or do i need the entire coolant tank new?

14. preeeuss

preeeuss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Aqua
    Model:
    Five
    I need to get this bleeder cap now as coolant is leaking from that opening. Can someone confirm if its a cap with a hole for vent or just a plug over it?

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Could somebody photograph whatever it is you guys are calling the "bleeder cap"?

16. preeeuss

preeeuss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Aqua
    Model:
    Five
    This is what we are referring to

Attached Files:

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah. It's not the case that you need the rubber cap there to have operating pressure in the cooling system. That nipple goes through to the filler neck above the seal of the pressure cap. So when you have your pressure cap installed, nothing is going to come out of that nipple unless the system pressure goes above the limit (108 kPa?) marked on the pressure cap.

So that only happens if the system overheats. It looks like you've had some coolant come out there, but then you knew your car was overheating, so that's why it came out.

If anything is coming out there at less than 108 kPa system pressure, the pressure cap is bad.

If you have the pressure cap out and you're pouring coolant in, it's not impossible to get some out of that nipple, as without the pressure cap in place, it's just open to the filler neck you're pouring the coolant into.

The rubber bit that comes on that nipple just kind of deflects the stream of escaping coolant if the pressure cap vents. You can see the way the nipple's designed, the rubber cap won't seal it off, but will direct the coolant sort of underneath. Without the rubber bit, any overpressure vented coolant just jets straight out.

18. preeeuss

preeeuss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Aqua
    Model:
    Five

That makes sense. So even without the rubber cap it’s fine to leave it as is once the water pump and thermostat get replaced it shouldn’t ever be spraying coolant from there even when driving up steep hills?

19. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is correct. You do not need the rubber cap.

Are you still driving your car? If I were you, I would not drive it until the water pump is replaced.

Analyst likes this.
  20. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never seen a rubber "bleeder cap" (which seems an inappropriate name for a hose or nipple) there. It must've gone AWOL before I bought my Prius used.

If poured into the coolant bottle carelessly, coolant does tend to escape out that plastic nipple.