1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP Prius won't gas up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeri, May 28, 2005.

1. Jeri

Jeri New Member

Two bars to go, so I decided to stop for gas. I thought there was something wrong with the pump when it clicked off at just under a gallon. The attendatnt reset the pump but it still wouldn't take gas. OUtside temp is 62 so that can't be the problem. What do I do now?

2. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My suggestion would be to try another pump. And set it to pump slowly. Good luck.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    definitely try another pump. some pumps overflow sensor gets activated and some take longer to reset which may explain why you couldnt fillup properly.

i actually had a pump do that to me. i could fill it up, but it just took much longer to do it since like you, it shutoff almost right away. (i think it first stopped at around $2... eventually put about $15 in it)

4. Jeri

Jeri New Member

After work, I stopped at a different gas station. Same problem although I did get two gallons in. Did the 04's have an issue with the gas tanks requiring a TSB or am I thinking of aonther vehiicle? Prius has only 2400miles so hope this isn't the start of an unfriendly car.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you set the pump handle for less than full rate? Going slower should help a lot.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try another. It might be out of gas or something. I've had that before but it was only pumping in a few cents at a time. Barely pumped a dollar, then I switched pumps.

7. jdfoster

jdfoster New Member

I have a hard time filling my 05. Even on a very very slow rate " have to fill by squezing the handle"and when I do finally fill up it seems to want to belch gas out before I can get the gas cap on. Makes a big mess. I have used different pumps and its the same story.

8. Jeri

Jeri New Member

Up until this past week, filling the Prius was no problem at all. I did notice on my last attempt that the filler neck seems sloppy. Tomorrow I'll call and set up an appointment at the dealership. I am tired of explaining to attendants why I am only buying one gallon of gas

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck, and please let us know what they find.

10. dwp-wa

dwp-wa New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had reported a similar problem a while back. I have only really had a problem at one ARCO station, where none of the pumps will work for me, so I stay away from that station.

Another ARCO station down the street does not seem to cause the problem. I usually fill up at COSTCO, Fred meyer, or Sams Club, and I have not had any problems at these stations.

11. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never had any problems (knock on wood). However, i did have what you mentioned ot me once and when I talked to the attendant the storage tank was out of gas (diesel).

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Jeri,
    If you are filling at the same stations that have worked fine for the last 6 months and aren't frequenting the cheap stations with the ancient pumps, I think a trip to the dealer is in order.

Any pump I use kicks off about 8 gallons where I know I have used over nine. Then I have to trickle. Only once many months ago did it kick off really fast and not want to fill. I haven't tried that same pump since. :)

13. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

Your Prius has evolved to... Priusion and no longer needs fuel to operate.

Congrats! I can\'t wait for my Prius to evolve. :D

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have had the same problem and have learned what pumps to use and not use. It is funny one pump at a station works fine the next does not. I have an idea that it involves the tight seal of the car and the sensitivity of the cut off. Keep trying different pumps.