1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help. Prius won't shut off......

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sorka, Jan 12, 2013.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Cluster dead. Held power button for 3 seconds. Engine shuts off but MFD stays on and green power stays on too. I've tried holding the power button for 20+ seconds. I can restart the car normally and and the engine starts up. Holding the power button for 3+ seconds turns the engine back off, but not completely. When I walk away from the car, it complains I'm leaving with the key and beeps at me.

It's still powered on in my garage.

I need to replace the instrument cluster. This is the second time it went out. I'm sure that when it warms back up tomorrow above freezing, it will work fine again, but this is the beginning of what will get worse and worse.

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Cluster dead. Held power button for 3 seconds. Engine shuts off but MFD stays on and green power stays on too. I've tried holding the power button for 20+ seconds. I can restart the car normally and and the engine starts up. Holding the power button for 3+ seconds turns the engine back off, but not completely. When I walk away from the car, it complains I'm leaving with the key and beeps at me.

It's still powered on in my garage.

I need to replace the instrument cluster. This is the second time it went out. I'm sure that when it warms back up tomorrow above freezing, it will work fine again, but this is the beginning of what will get worse and worse.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you checked the 12 volt?

4. christyrell

christyrell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    id pull the 12volt battery in the trunk

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This happened to a coworker on his 2004 at work. His 12v was original. Once we got a stable 12v into the system, everything worked fine. It happened to him as he was shutting down the car, but accidentally pressed the button twice from what he recalls. Normally this would go from READY to off to ACC mode, but since his headlights were still on (door was not opened yet), his marginal 12v could not get the systems up. It could also not shut down since the power button depends on the car being on or the 12v being healthy.

Our solution was I connected my Prius with the under-hood jump start terminals. This gave his car a stable 12v rail, and everything just worked. It powered down no fuss. We powered it up and down with my car as the surrogate, no problem. He replaced his 12v that afternoon and all has been well.

In your case, to power it down, disconnect the 12v battery and leave it disconnected for at least a couple seconds. You will more than likely need a jump start to READY the vehicle and replace your battery.

6. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    can you put the fob in the dash or whatever you call that place you can insert the fob and then turn off the engine?

7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do NOT do this!!!

Because the system cannot shut down, your key will become locked in the slot.

8. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Disconnect the 12v battery.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Merged both your threads together. If you post in the wrong forum, please just report the post and a moderator will move it before starting a second thread in a different forum. Thanks :)

11. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a new 12v Optimia. The battery is fine. I was able to eventually get it to turn off. Don't know why it complained the first time.

Wish I'd known about the extended warranty. I took out the cluster this weekend. Took about an hour. No big deal, but still.

12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unless you have tested it, do not assume it is not a problem. New out of box items can be damaged or broken. In the case of a battery this is true along with the possibility that it sat in a shipping crate for a year self discharging before it got shipped to you.

13. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, I tested it yesterday. 12.7 volts cold. 530 CCA with my load tester. My stock battery went down to 200CCA before it caused my first Christmas Tree display.

14. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Call local Toyota Dealer. Asked them about the enhanced warranty. Service advisor asked me if I got the letter. I told him I hadn't but that I had the problem described by the letter. He told me no letter, nothing they can do. I asked if he could check my VIN and he said it didn't matter. I had to have the letter...period.

Next I called Toyota and explained to them the issue. They looked up the VIN and told me my car was covered by the enhanced warranty and to just bring it to a dealer. I told them I called my local dealer and they said they wouldn't do anything without the letter. The CS rep told me that wasn't the case and opened up case. She said someone would contact the dealer and someone should get back to me within 3 days.

30 minutes later, I got a call back from the dealer. Apparently Toyota had contacted them already. Wow. With all the recent bad press, they must be really jumping to keep customers happy.

The service advisor, the same one I spoke with, told me to bring the car in and they'd replace the cluster. I told him it was intermittent. He said with this issue, it isn't required to reproduce. I told him I'd removed it in preparation for sending it into a company to repair it. He said just to make the car drivable and bring it in. No need to put it all back together.

I'll rehook up the passenger air back. Don't want to throw a code. I'm also going to put the mfd back in and the top part of the dash after I re-install the combination meter in it.