1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Problem after EGR cleaning, Injector / Plug / coil replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Levi Gonzalez, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Levi Gonzalez

Levi Gonzalez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Initially had knocking on cold startup. So I thoroughly cleaned the EGR valve / pipe / cooler. Manifold. MAF.

Also replaced the Fuel Injectors, Spark Plugs, And Coils with brand new ones.

Did all of these things AT ONCE, and this is the first startup after putting it all back together.

Immediately after startup, the knocking only lasted a couple seconds (usually lasts a lot longer.)

However now as you can hear in the video, it sounds like it is struggling. sounds like it's about to die then gets loud and the car rocks forward. Then struggles again.

Then that distinctive whistling sound happens intermittently.

It just sounds "weird".

I only ran it long enough to film the video and not much else because I was not sure if it's ok to let it run this way.

I am pretty certain all the hoses are on tight and correctly. Not sure what's causing this....

https://youtube.com/shorts/kVUIOmd_fMk?feature=share

2. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The only thing I can think of is the EGR cooler still has a little bit of liquid residue left from the break cleaner. A drop here or there was still probably in there. Idk if that's enough to make it sound funny. It also has a slight strange smell but I'm not even sure if I'm imagining it. it's very subtle

3. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    UPDATE: About 30 minutes after this, I went out and did a startup #2.

it started up perfectly. no knocking, whistling etc

It took about 2 or 3 minutes to finish starting, but that's to be expected because this battery has not been cycled in a few days

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No check engine light or codes?

Other than that, it sounds like you have a vacuum leak, or a vacuum line/hose wasn't reseated properly.

Did you tighten all of the bolts properly? I forgot to tighten the bolts on the egr pipe once before, then another time, I forgot to tighten down a bolt on the air intake tube by the passenger headlight, which caused a tapping/ticking sound that I thought was engine knocking.

Double and triple check all your bolts, screws, and connectors. Did you remove the throttle bodybuilding and the intake manifold? Sounds like the throttle body gasket could be leaking.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Levi Gonzalez likes this.
  5. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes definitely got all the EGR bolts on there nice and tight. I'll check the throttle body gasket tomorrow. but I'm pretty sure I got that right. yes I removed the manifold.

See my updated video. It is not struggling at all. Listening to the video, it does have a high pitch sound. but that sound was there from day 1 when I bought the car. so I don't know if that's anything to worry about or not.

6. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No check engine light codes. but I'll plug in my obd reader tomorrow (can't find it right now).

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds good, and I must say, you've got a very clean looking engine bay!

The first time I started up after cleaning the intake manifold and EGR cooler and EGR valve, it sounded and ran terrible. Shook really bad and had heavy knocking, most likely from extra water leftover from cleaning and washing out the intake manifold. Scared the bejesus out of me, then it ran fine after that.

8. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you! It was very dirty before this. I did a pretty thorough cleaning of everything! I even used about 1000 q tips to get into the crevices haha.

And ok that's great to hear. Whew. That really scared me on the first startup.

I'll post tomorrow about my OBD2 reading findings...

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you considered installing an oil catch can? It will probably help keep some of that oily mess that you undoubtedly had to clean up in the intake manifold, EGR pipe, and EGR cooler from getting in everything.

The EGR cooler and EGR valve will still get sooty, but hopefully, there won't be an oily, sooty mess with a lot of carbon (maybe from all that oily vapor burning from the PCV valve)?

10. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have thought about it. but it has 150k miles on it. I probably won't keep it longer than 10-20k more miles.

It has a new brake actuator (recall), serviced battery, new water OEM water pump, New plugs, Coils, & Injectors.

Completely clean EGR system, MAF and Manifold.

Hopefully it'll give the next owner another solid 100k miles. But I can't risk it going down again. It's my only car for work and I need something newer and reliable...

I am very happy it isn't knocking right now. Tomorrow and the day after will be the moment of truth.

Would you suggest adding some seafoam in the tank right now?

11. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Car is started smoothly with absolutely no knocking or weird noises.

All the codes are gone and also the check engine light is gone.

I am very glad this was not a head gasket issue!

xliderider and ASRDogman like this.
  12. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Torque Pro app shows no codes on the engine.

However I just now tried the Dr Prius app (which was the app that first alerted me about p0300, p0301, & p0303 codes), And Dr Prius is still showing those codes. I tried clearing them and they don't disappear.

Maybe they're logged into the history and are "historic codes" of some sort?

13. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Well it was fine then knocking started again even worse than the original issue. but now codes disappeared and no dash light...

Should I give it a few more days for it to clear out? maybe the leftover debri in the EGR is still getting loosened up a bit.

I put a can of seafoam in the fuel tank.

I guess my next step would be to test the coolant, to see if the head gasket is the issue

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Leak down test is better.