1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help. Radiator fans not working

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by joedirte, Sep 6, 2012.

1. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So two possibly three unrelated problems. I was sitting in the hot sun and in Park, but A/C going and the steering wheel area started making a weird servo motor noise. Not moving the wheel but making a quiet noise like a tape drive seeking back and forth.

[EDIT - ignore, I confirmed the fans work fine with A/C on]
    Anyways, I then noticed the inverter temps were high from sitting in the sun cycling the A/C and motor on and off. (The noise is unrelated and hasn't repeated after things cooled off, so ignoring that)

The IAT and inverter coolant was 60C so that was sort of the state of ambient from hot engine and 90F outdoor temp sitting in the sun. Anyways, my concern is the MG1 inverter was 60C even up to 70C when driving. I had not seen it much over 50C ever in the past except during forced charging.

I checked the inverter pump and it was fine, but then I noticed the radiator fans weren't moving. In fact, I don't know if the fans ever come on. The radiator coolant is almost always 85C to 88C. Now I'm not even certain when the fans come on, is it a radiator thermoswitch? I left the hot car ICE running and forced ICE to run in N. Got out and checked for the fan to come on, I mean shouldn't it have to eventually??

Checked relays (they work), fan 30A fuse is good. Checked the thermoswitch on top of the little inverter coolant radiator and it was open circuit when cooled off. I didn't try monkeying around with the READY mode and the pump running and checking that switch operation at some temp... (I assume it is a on/off switch and not a CTS). Is that the fan switch? Or is there one on the radiator?

Anyways, I was planning a long drive and now I doubt MG1 health from being 70C and seemed like when things were hot it was having trouble accelerating. But that is another issue... (involving chattering chain noise in first 60 seconds of idle)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It appears that you do not use your air conditioner. Try turning it on, and the radiator fans should spin.

The fans should turn on 1) if the engine coolant temperature in the radiator gets high enough, or 2) when the AC compressor is running.

3. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I feel dumb.. I feel like I should install my own traction battery fan control and mount a small 12V fan to the inverter radiator though. Heh, I'm too late to messing around with this car.

I also just found this thread which would have answered my own question..
    Grille block effect and ICE temp specs | PriusChat

4. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Anyone ever hear a chattering noise that is random and sound like the chain in the transaxle randomly bumping into stuff? Is that a MG1 failure noise? Only happens during the S1 mode. (S1a?)