1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help: Rearview Mirror Fell Off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mark1154, Feb 26, 2012.

1. mark1154

mark1154 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looking for the best rearview mirror repair kit. Looks like a job I can do myself. Saw a video for the Permatex kit and another for just using Crazy Glue for metal, alcohol swab, etc. Any suggestions?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have no immediate suggestions. All I know is that I had a rearview mirror fall off a car I owned many years ago. It is definitely a job you can do yourself.

3. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no crazy or super glue will be powerful enough to hold a mirror on and handle the extreme cold of winter and heat of summer. I would recommend an epoxy, if you've never done it before there are usually 2 small vials, epoxy and an activator that has to be mixed together, then you wait a minute for the exothermic reaction to complete, then put it on, pretty straight forward and cheap to do, most auto supply stores sell a cheap (under $5) kit to do it yourself, but I doubt there would be any difference b/t the kit the auto supply store sells and the epoxy you buy at a hardware store.

now I had to reinstall one of my pads to my rear defroster grid, but since this glue had to conduct electricity it needs special epoxy made out of silver, approx $45, it was silly to pay that much money for something that is designed to do dozens or even a hundred defroster pads, so I just paid a local glass company $11 to reinstall it for me, since they of course carry the special silver epoxy for just that purpose.

yes you can do it yourself, start by using a razor to get all the old adhesive off, then rub really well with an alcohol wipe, then apply masking tape to help you align the mirror, then mix the epoxy with a plastic spoon or knife, wait a minute, apply the epoxy with the spoon or knife, attach the rearview mirror, hold it for a minute or two, then revel in your glee at saving money, doing the job right and doing it yourself!! Good Luck (You won't need it)