1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Removing Exhaust Spring Bolts with Rust and Corrosion

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mel84, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Mel84

Mel84 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am in the process of replacing the engine on my 2010 Prius. I have most of my old engine ready to lift out, but I am having a lot of trouble removing the spring bolts from the exhaust manifold. I live in the Midwest, and the snow and salt have really done a number on everything.

Currently, the bolts have been soaking in PB Blaster for around 15 hours, and I still can't get them to budge. I haven't been able to find any threads on Priuschat that deal specifically with this, and none of the reading materials or videos I've found online go over the best way of detaching the exhaust manifold during an engine removal, let alone one with so much corrosion. I have a bernzomatic torch, but I'm nervous about using it after applying PB Blaster. I've attached pictures of the spring bolts from both sides.

Does anyone with engine removal experience have advice for me on how to remove these spring bolts? Thank you very much!

20210709_112125.jpg 20210709_112037.jpg 20210709_112125.jpg

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These kind of problems are approached much differently in a shop with lots of tools that can get the car up in the air. Main issue is how much access you can get. Not sure if you have that option, but if you do I'd use a really long breaker bar with a pipe on the end to make it longer as well as heat the nut part up a little with the torch. If that didn't work I'd either weld some new bolts to the head and try again, or use an air powered cutting tool and go in there and shear the bolts heads off and worry about the rest of the bolts once I can put that part in a vice to deal with.

3. Mel84

Mel84 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think I actually took a sideways route. Instead of removing the spring bolts from the catalytic convertor side, I removed the 5 nuts and studs that connected the exhaust to the engine block (along with the bolts on the brace). The engine is ALMOST fully disconnected and will be coming out today!

Thank you for your response. It might be something I use in a bit, when I can get a bit more leverage. Even if it's not, it's great advice and I'm glad it's out there for anyone else who might have this problem.

PriusCamper likes this.