1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Skid, (!), ABS, Chexk Engine, and Red Triangle after Battery replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AgentBlack, Apr 2, 2017.

1. AgentBlack

AgentBlack New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The History:
    Let me start with the background. This is a 2007 Prius base model, I bought it from Coca Cola in 2010. About 2 years ago the hybrid battery went bad, using the great advice on the PriusChat forums I disassembled the battery and replaced the single bad cell. I havent had any serious problems since then until about a week ago. The hybrid battery was going bad again so I tried to let history repeat. I purchased another battery cell, disassembled the battery, identified the bad cell, replaced it, and reassembled everything. This is where i ended uncharted territory.

The Problems:
    Upon turning the car back on i was greeted by the parking brake not properly engaged along with some other stuff that led me to test my 12v battery. It was running at 8.54v and after removing it and putting it on a battery tester it turned out bad. I went ahead and replaced it with a new optima battery (since it was highly recommended here) and tried again. The parking brake issue is gone but now i have other lights and at IG-ON the car won't for into READY. Instead i see the red triangle, skid warning, (!), ABS, and check engine lights. There are no codes when i test it and when i short pins 4 and 13 i see:

Red Triangle Solid
    Skid Warning Solid
    (!) Blinks
    ABS Blinks
    Check Engine Solid
    True pressure Blinks
    Airbag solid then blinks

I've tried hitting the brakes 8 times but it didn't seem to do anything. I've also checked the hybrid battery to make sure i didnt make a mistake, but everything seems to be in place. The voltage razors I'm getting are:
    217.9 Hybrid Battery
    12.45 Aux Battery

Any advice or help you can offer would bee greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When you put back the orange battery interlock switch (assuming you did), did you lock it in?

3. AgentBlack

AgentBlack New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, several times hoping it was a simple mistake. The battery indicator also shows a mostly full battery on the display.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have to press the start button twice after changing out the hv battery.

I would disconnect the 12v and try again

ysidro.avila likes this.
  5. AgentBlack

AgentBlack New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just did that just now, no change. The car does beep 5 times, pause, then 1 more beep. it was doing that before though.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you make sure you connected everything back up on the hv battery? The connectors to the battery ecu, etc?

Did you check the new 12v battery voltage?

7. AgentBlack

AgentBlack New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah, everything seems connected properly, i even double checked when it didn't work right the first time. The hv battery its putting out a steady 217.9v and the 12v is putting out 12.45v

8. AgentBlack

AgentBlack New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So, on further inspection the safety plug doesnt seem to be making a difference if its in or out. I see the exact same issues either way, even the battery indicator stays the same 6 blue bars.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you sure the problem you had was hv battery related? There's no reason it won't start, if it was a bad module, it would start and you'll get warnings

10. AgentBlack

AgentBlack New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I hadn't been getting warnings but after going through the above steps with you I'm now seeing a P0AE0 error. Hybrid battery negative contactor control circuit high

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You might have broken a wire while you were working with the battery, those wires are very thin

AgentBlack likes this.
  12. AgentBlack

AgentBlack New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It's working! After inspecting the service plug i noticed some build up on it. I cleaned it and after putting it back the car started right up. I cleared the codes and the dash is clear, everything seems to be working properly! Thank you for your advice!

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should assemble the car in about a week, you have to test run that battery for that period to determine if your replacement module will with with the car.

Don't want you putting everything back and get an error in a day or two

14. Oregon Prius

Oregon Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced the hybrid battery following YouTube videos, connected everything up, and turned it on. All the warning lights were on and the car wouldn't shift out of Park or Neutral. I checked the orange high-voltage plug and discovered it wasn't pressed down all the way. Fixing that made all the warning lights go out EXCEPT the red triangle. The car was now driveable but I didn't want to go anywhere with that horrible red triangle. I tried repeating everything several times with no luck.

Then I read a suggestion to press the brake down HARD and hold the start button down while starting it up. THIS WORKED! The red triangle went away and everything seems fine. (Well, at least for now -- hopefully it stays this way.)

15. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what P0AE0 means. It happened to me. I rebuilt my '07 Prius battery and then messed up and put a bolt in a hole in the drivers side under the back seat. If you do this you will render the battery and all the repairs you just did on it useless, because that bolt will go right through the front relay in the HV battery and ruin the relay. Take the battery apart again and remove the front relay and look for a hole like this... picture included. you will need a new one.

Attached Files:

davecook89t likes this.