1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help. sludge.?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Al's Auto, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't need anyone's permission to do this. Since you are determined that the engine is not consuming oil, please post photos after you've removed the engine valve cover and engine oil pan so that we can see what amount of sludge remains in the engine.

2. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is crazy. The only large storage area is crankcase. I can't see how the engine can trap a few quarts even as sludge.

I'd love to see this.

iPhone ?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, this is why I asked the OP to post photos of the engine with the valve cover and oil pan removed. That won't cause any more harm than continuing to run solvent through the engine, and we might learn something.

4. Al's Auto

Al's Auto New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'm convinced, you've lost it. What I wrote is what's happening. I drain it and it won't come out, I flush it and everything comes out. You say this doesn't happen so I'm just wasting my time explaining it to you. It's not burning oil because there's no oil residue on in the tail pipe and I could see that there is no smoke coming out the back. while i'm driving 250 miles a day. The oil was in the engine and when I flush it comes right out, If you don't want to take my word for it then just don't write back.

Thanks Easy

I got about another week and a 1/2
    I still have another week and a half to hit about 3500 miles and I'm going to see if I'm losing oil. If so I'm taking off that valve cover and pan cover to see how bad it may look, I'll be happy to upload the pictures but I really hope I don't have too. lol

Regular Motor flush that you get at Autozone by the quart

I put regular gas in it and I've never put and additives in the oil or gas. I did put a little sealant for my radiator that had a small leak on the water pump, but since it's stopped. I doubt it has anything to do with it.

#24 Al's Auto, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
    bisco likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A little perspective:

Al, This thread is 2 years older than your car is....and your car is a G2.
    The reason that people aren't buying the sludge theory is that it doesn't happen very often real world.....at least with G2 and G3's that are properly maintained.

My advice:
    One: Start pricing motors but don't buy one just yet.
    If you're not competent enough or have the time and space to do a heart transplant on a G2, then start getting that worked out as well.
    Everybody always worries about engines and batteries for Priuses, but in very few cases engines and batteries are what actually kill Priuses.
    Usually the change-owner light will come on when some other component (brakes, transaxle, suspension, A/C, electrical) causes a four-figure repair bill that exceeds the former owner's willingness to pay.
    Batteries are going for about $1200, installed.
    Long blocks can be had for less.

Two. Identify and quantify the problem.
    My eyes are glazing over from all of the fish-slapping about what your car is doing and not dong, and what you've done and not done with it. What your car IS doing right now is running.
    OK.....so top it off with oil and let's quantify your burn-through rate.
    Anybody out there remember Toyota's definition of excessive oil use???
    Anybody?
    IIRC, it's some crazy-high value like 1Q/600 miles.
    ETC(SS) values for excessive oil use are a little different, and so yours probably are as well.
    It really doesn't matter where the oil is going or not going.
    If you're burning it, leaking it, or a neighbor is stealing it it has to be replaced...and if your bleed rate gets too high, then you can consider a heart transplant for the car.
    I've been in this forum since I started trying to figure out the Prius thing in 2010.
    How many of the 100,000 registered people on PC have actually "blown" a motor???
    How often does this actually happen.

Me?
    I think it's a unicorn.
    Everybody thinks they know what they look like, and you read about them but how many people in the real world have ever really seen one?
    Maybe "UFO" might be a better analogy. ;)

Three:
    Consider changing jobs.
    250 miles a day is over 90,000 miles a year.
    That's all good if the money is right and you love your job, but that's not what it sounds like judging from your posts.

Good Luck!

#25 ETC(SS), Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    Fishcrab likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^Yes this should be a new thread the old sludge thread is not what Al's problem is all about.

7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Don't and won't.

The point I'm trying to make is: You posted under a heading of "sludge" and I don't think that is the problem, or at least not the ONLY problem.

And just FYI, take it or leave it, there can be a significant amount of oil burning without any obvious indication because........it BURNS UP.

Please keep coming back here to let us know what the ultimate outcome IS.

8. Fishcrab

Fishcrab Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ETC(SS)
    Well said thread above^^^^^^^^^

ETC(SS) likes this.
  9. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    on other engines I have seen the drain holes in the heads clog up and the oil stays trapped in the valve cover for a long time, which would result in the oil not draining out of the motor when you go to change it. if the motor is sludging up, it could also be so globbed in the oil pan that it won't drain out. I would look in the drain plug hole with a small led flashlight or better, a borescope to see if there is any sludge in there. if you can get your hands on a borescope, perhaps you could snake it into the fill hole to see if there is any sludge in the head. if there is sludge, or the oil is pooling in the head, then you will need to pull the oil pan and/or valve cover. if the oil is pooling in the head, you can use a coat hanger to push the crud out of the drain holes -- I've done it on other cars, mostly old v8's though.

obviously, if it was leaking, even if only when it was running, there would be oil on the bottom of the engine, so we can rule that out if its dry. as far as burning oil, you won't see any smoke or residue in the tailpipe unless it was burning a lot of oil.

if it was my car, I'd definitely find a tech with a borescope so I could see inside before I started ripping the motor apart.

Fishcrab likes this.
  10. BrandyH

BrandyH New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model: