1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Something is draining battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Mike82, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Mike82

Mike82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I’ve done some research on this forum and sought advice other places and although my issue has been addressed in the past through other members, I can’t seem to find a solid answer. My battery seems to be draining (yes the battery is fine. I’ve had it checked as well and have even experienced the same issue when it’s fully charged. When I try turning my car on, sometimes the red triangle warning signal turns on and seems to be low on juice. This happens about every 2 Days. Sometimes EVERYDAY. Please help!!

Ps i apologize in advance for my lack of car knowledge if I’m not working my question correctly.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you need to get the trouble codes read at a dealer.

offib and Mike82 like this.
  3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I presume the OP is referring to the 12V battery and not the hybrid one......

The most common cause of 12v drain is a light that is on while the vehicle is parked (glovebox, trunk, etc), or some aftermarket system (security, radio etc) that continually operates even with the vehicle "off".

It is possible that the 12V is simply really weak and if over 7 years of age, failure of the 12v itself should not be overlooked as a potential cause.

4. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMG_7575.JPG

Are you sure you don’t have one of these hiding under the bonnet?

iPhone ? Pro

offib, Mendel Leisk, WilDavis and 4 others like this.
  5. Mike82

Mike82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish it was as simple as one of these cute little guys lol

Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. Mike82

Mike82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

Also something I forgot to mention and what leads me to beleive it’s not that battery is: ive unplugged battery each time I’m not driving it, and it’s bren just fine the last few days (I hate doing that because I’m sure it’ll create other problems in the long run, but that’s how I know it’s something draining the battery

Data Daedalus likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'have even experienced the same issue when it's fully charged'. see the original post.

you can put a meter on the battery to see if the drain is higher than toyota's standard value.

Raytheeagle and Data Daedalus like this.
  8. Mike82

Mike82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, even when fully charged. Is there anything I can try out to see if it’s the ALARM? Any easy to reach able to disconnect?? My gut feeling tells me it might be that

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i know of, is it aftermarket?

10. Mike82

Mike82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe so

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can find the power wire (maybe at one of the fuse boxes or the 12v, just remove it.

12. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cut it out of there!

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure have seen a lot of these posts. It’s usually a bad 12 volt battery that will not hold a charge.
    Our little AGM is really nothing like a full size battery performance.
    I know it’s been “tested” which is meaningless to me as seen hundreds of tested battery’s fail on this site at the worst possible time AFTER A GOOD TEST. . I can say for sure the charge rate on our cars is much different than full size battery cars.
    A new Prius battery will live at around 12.5 or lower while my full size cars live at a much higher rate.
    That alone is not good.

Here’s the deciding factor......if you have had to jumpstart it then it needs to be replaced. IMHO.

If your in love with your battery the investigation is easy. Get a dc ammeter and lift the ground wire off the battery by unbolting it from the chassis and put the ammeter in series with that ground wire and the chassis.

Report Ma readings back here.

Mendel Leisk and uart like this.
  14. Mike82

Mike82 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all! I realize this was an older post, but I replaced the 12volt battery and car is starting just fine now, with no issues. However, something else that arose: now the big red triangle, check engine light and red-car light on screen turns on after a while ofndriving the car, other times the screen and dash go completely dark. This started happening only after 12volt battery was replaced. A quick fix is removing the white plug connected to the battery and replugging after 30 seconds but then it’s only a matter of time before it happens again. Any thoughts? PLEASE

QUOTE="Mike82, post: 2625889, member: 159118"]Hello, I’ve done some research on this forum and sought advice other places and although my issue has been addressed in the past through other members, I can’t seem to find a solid answer. My battery seems to be draining (yes the battery is fine. I’ve had it checked as well and have even experienced the same issue when it’s fully charged. When I try turning my car on, sometimes the red triangle warning signal turns on and seems to be low on juice. This happens about every 2 Days. Sometimes EVERYDAY. Please help!!

Ps i apologize in advance for my lack of car knowledge if I’m not working my question correctly.[/QUOTE]

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mike I suspect there are two problems. The "screen & dash" going dark sounds like the combination meter is failing. The idiot lights are tripping codes. Please have them read as the car is trying to tell you what is wrong.

edthefox5 likes this.
  16. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I remember the red car light lights when there is a door not closed properly, is this the red car light you mean?

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds bad.

You need a voltmeter. And the codes read. With voltmeter next time that happens shut the car off and open the hood and check the battery volatage at the jump points. Then with car still off turn on th3 headlights and measure again and see how low the headlights pull that battery down. Then turn off the headlights and turn on the car and measure again. Report those 3 back here.

And you need alll the codes read. Stop clearing the codes and get them read. The car is telling you why it’s unhappy. I suspect you have multiple issues probably bad hybrid battery and combo meter.

Code readers available:

Android code reader app need app and Bluetooth obd
    Scan gauge x gauge
    Dxdiag
    Mini vci uses so laptop

18. tutti57

tutti57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let us know if you have a multi meter. It's worth buying if you don't.

I can walk you through a parasitic draw test when you're ready. It's easy and as long as it's not an intermittent issue, which it doesn't sound like it will be, it will find your problem.

Moto G Play ?

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The OP doesn’t have a parasitic load on the battery anymore now he’s saying all kinds of lights come on after new battery install.

20. Ian Paul

Ian Paul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2005 T3
    I had similar problems and eventually my 12v battery died but Eurocarparts replaced it under warranty ( Bosch S4 05 (S4 019) 40Ah - 2 years old , 4 year warranty)
    So if did some further checking and found the parasitic drain with everything shut & locked was about 0.07A which seems rather high, tried a few things and eventually tried pushing the button to disable the smartkey system under the steering wheel a few times with the following observations:-
    - I dont have the smart key system as far as I know
    - according to the manual, the button should be latching but it does not
    - parasitic drain now seems to be about 0.02A (much better)
    - the alarm system dashboard light now behaves differently, it used to start flashing every few seconds after locking the car but now it glows with a slight dimming every few seconds for about 30 seconds and then changes to flashing every few seconds.

No idea what is going on here but keeping an eye on the battery charge state, especially if I dont use the car for a while.