1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP!!! something is not right!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by juliolopezgonzalez, Feb 4, 2012.

1. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have also just had a p0a08 error, & am having dc/dc charging problems, BUT my invertor pump IS packed up & am waiting it to go in for a recall, As i have just changed my transaxal, it drives ok apart from this error... I can just about drive with a few batteryies in the boot all jumped up... BUT not for long.... before I get parking brake paw error...

2. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and auto shut offs, which I am sure are to do with inverter temp etc...

My abs vsc lights also come on...

Sure this is all down to power & recharging Dc

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You really don't want to be doing that! The DC-DC converter only stops charging the battery when it's seriously overheating already. Do that for too long and you have a very good chance of permanently damaging the inverter. In fact, I wouldn't mind betting that this has already happened.

1 person likes this.
  4. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    whoopsy daisy, I thought it was fail safed,.LOL! I am trying to at this moment book it in for its inveter pump recall, As I know its not working...

I have a spare inverter if need be, But never want to change it over, until I had the inverter pump done...

5. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a 2005 classic prius?
    is it your gen 1 or gen2 thats failing with this code?

6. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No Sir its my 2005 model, (you see before I only had a classic) & now I have 2x... nhw11 & nhw20...

7. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    & I hope I am not stepping on posters toes by replying to this topic regarding my own car & its problems....

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, it's a kind of a "yes and no" situation there. It is protected against over temperature, but the over-temperature setting is pretty high and it's not meant to be operating in those conditions for extended periods. Think of it something like this, it will (with a high probability) protect it in the first instance of overheating, but from then on the probability of failure steadily increases.

Hopefully it will be ok. Can you confirm that the 12V battery does indeed still charge correctly when the car is relatively cold (like for at least 15 min after the car is first started). If the answer is no then it is already damaged for 100% certain.

1 person likes this.
  9. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No I am sure it does not charge, because the voltage would be around 13.5v right, mine stays around 12v... But my invertor pump is not working, trying to get it in for a recall as we speak... they are meant to call me back over an hour ago..

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unfortunately that's not good news. You see the DC-DC converter doesn't automatically stop working just because the coolant pump has stopped. Rather it responds to the consequent over temperature, which can take a considerable amount of time, depending on the ambient temperature and driving conditions (but in just about every case will be more than 10 to 15 minutes).

When my HV coolant pump went out I had to wait two weeks to get it booked in for replacement. For that two weeks I was very careful to take it easy, and only do short trips (typically < 20 mins). During that whole time my 12V charging system held up (typically about 14 volts) despite the pump being out of action.

11. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    theres more info in my thread, but basically i have just changed gearbox, & had other codes before then..

when I put a fresh battery or a few plugged together it works drives as normal, only until it starts getting battery low modules start playing around etc, possible overheating because of bleeding coolant in invertor properly & pump not working in the 1st place... I have not tried to drive other then for testing issues, had bought an inverer will chuck it in if need be, but want to do the pump 1st, as was diagnosed not working even before tranny running with same invertor...

Its booked in on wednesday to have the invertor pump done..

12. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a BIG BIG update for people with p0a08 whilst working on thier cars... gearbox engine or inverter...

There are 2x grey plugs on the back of the synergy drive unit, 1 of those (the lower one) was in my case disconected, making the car not charge dc/dc aux battery...

The code it threw was the p0a08, & as soon as I connected this plug my battery voltage was up to 14v & recharging, everything was back to normal....

Its a very hard plug to see, if everything is back on the car, possibly easier if you have the wipers etc out of your way...

BUT just feel it, If its loose & moving around you know its not pluged into anything, & needs to be...

I thank all those that shed thier views, they all helped pointing me in the right direction...

3 people like this.
  13. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad you got it all worked out......now if I could only figure out mine :(

14. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks!!! We should pass this along to juliolopezgonzales for his poor car.

15. Rich London

Rich London New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you disconnect the 12V battery and then reconnect it does the red triangle disappear? If so, do you have to drive the car for it to come back?

16. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did also post this update in his specific thread... For his eyes to see & his prius to be sprung back alive...

17. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For this DTC, the triangle will come back when 12V bus voltage falls below a certain level, I think 11V. The 12V sags greatly under the weight of the power load when the DC converter is offline, so it would not be unusual for it to fall under 11V, then recover to >12V after a few minutes, making it hard to tease out the cause. In general, it just depends on the code. Some are instantaneous, others you might go for a few weeks in between 12V resets.

1 person likes this.
  18. juliolopezgonzalez

juliolopezgonzalez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,

Been away for 3 weeks, back on track now. THANK YOU for continuing posting, looking forward to getting down to San Diego next week where I left the car parked. UK classic do you by any chance have a pic of the location for those 2 grey plugs? I have the feeling that when they replace the engine they did not plug everything back correctly (or when they installed the new Optima).

By next Tuesday the car will have been sitting for almost 5 weeks, so if the Optima starts right away I will check the charging voltage with the Scangauge and the grey plugs to make sure they are properly inserted. Any other suggestions?

19. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The grey plugs are on the behind of the inverter, & connect to a loom on that side of the prius... You cannot miss them, just look at the cars firewall & between the invertor...

also do the MFD check, click display while turning lights on & off 3 times, you will eventually see the battery voltage come up on the screen...

if those grey plugs are not right, the car will drain the 12v battery in secs not minuits.. I am on call on this thread, lets get you running man....

2 people like this.
  20. juliolopezgonzalez

juliolopezgonzalez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: from the dealer here in Bend:

Good morning Julio, I received your message and looked into what the other dealer had on the national service history system Toyota has set up for us. On there notes they seem very vague on what they did for diagnostic and talking with my service manager even though the engine was replaced that should not effect the warranty on the vehicle. I don't know if it is possible or not but there is a Master Hybrid Technician that used to work for us that now works for Toyota of Escondido, if there is a way you can get the vehicle over to them to and have him inspect it we would let him know the history with the vehicle and see what he can figure out for you. There phone number is- 866-499-7993, the technician's name is Ken Tripp. Let me know if this is possible and we will see what we can do.