1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Steering wheel emblem removal tool...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by GoldPianoGarden, May 3, 2012.

1. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I intend to remove the emblem off my steering wheel. However, I read on Toyotanation where the emblem has 8-10 "pegs" on the back of it that stick thru the airbag/steering wheel cover and then are melted so as to be somewhat flattened on the tips in order to hold the emblem on securely. You have to pry the emblem up a tiny bit and then begin cutting or snipping each of those pegs, one at a time, slowly..... I figured it would be easier to do it with some type of really thin, 90-degree angle snips of some sort, as opposed to 'sawing' each peg tediously. I'm sure that there is such a tool that exists, but I haven't found it yet. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These aren't quite the answer, but just to give you an idea of the general shape I am trying to describe... The cutting blades on these are still too thick, I think, to slide up underneath the emblem. Does anyone know what the right tool would be that I need? Thanks!

2. El Nino

El Nino Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used a small screwdriver and a Xacto knife no problem. Once you start cutting off one or two pegs it becomes much easier. The emblem is a bit bendy and I actually ended up getting a new emblem from Ebay for $12. Once you get the emblem off you can use the same knife to "Carve" off the raised black from the steering wheel. Once this is flat you can put a background behind it. I used a matching wood piece from my dash kit (peeled off the double stick) and it came out quite nice.

3. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd like to see what it looks like now that you finished it! Sounds cool that you used your wood from the dash. So, do you have to "saw" at the pegs to cut them? or can you just slice right thru them? I just don't have any strength/grip with my thumbs anymore to do things like that. I generally have better luck with tools that have two "blades" or cutting edges that can be squeezed together to just snip right thru things, because I can hold the handles any number of ways.....whereas you pretty much have to hold a single-blade type thing like an exacto knife using your thumb. After dropping the item about 20 times, I usually end up slicing myself wide open...My hands currently look like I ran them thru a meat grinder from a recent attempt at peeling some vegetables for my grandmother.... 6 fingers cut... So, I generally try to shy away from knife-type objects! lol

4. El Nino

El Nino Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ill post some pics later tonight...the raised rubber slices of pretty easy with a sharp Xacto knife..but you do have to be careful!

1 person likes this.