1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help? To fix or not to fix? Gen3 P3000-388, catch-22? Traction Battery too low for start?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by frankk74, Mar 2, 2020.

1. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question, and you would think it would be a sticky.

You might find something in the gen2 forums if you used the 'advanced search' feature, as I thought it existed there once before. If you do find it, or figure out how to DIY and build one, please post/share the thread or walkthrough here for the rest of us.

Before I go on, contact Steve Keith at PHOENIX HYBRID BATTERIES as he has definitely built one before. If you do make contact, please let him know that everyone at PChat says Hello, and misses him.

For not much more than the cost of DIY parts or a modest rental, others have used the EC-570 "Electrophoresis Power Supply" for top end balancing/charging, you can find one for under $100. There could be an even less expensive HV power supply option if you spent time reviewing the various specs of the used electrophoresis power supplies that are currently available, as some sell for half that price. If you do find a less expensive option, please share the make, model, and specs here as well.

2. frankk74

frankk74 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Just to follow up....

A dead battery can be caused by a blown engine that cannot be started.

First dealer didn't put car on a lift and do a visual inspection. Second dealer did that and they also knew about the THS charger. But there would have been "rental/shipping charges" if it is/was required....

So, sometimes it is good to get a second opinion...

Will be selling "as-is, where is" in case anyone is interested (won't be free or low-balled)...

Thx

Frank

P.S. if I had followed the 1st (stealer)dealership I would have been out $3400 and then still have a dead car... buyer beware....

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who determined that the engine was blown, and how did they come to that diagnosis?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. frankk74

frankk74 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Second dealer... 2012-PriusV-hole.jpg 2012-PriusV-oil.jpg

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  5. frankk74

frankk74 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    Weird thing/thought.....

Why doesn't something somewhere in car record Diagnostic codes?

You would think low oil warning light (not sure it was lit, I wasn't driving) or any other dramatic/serious code is recorded for reference in a permanent storage place like nvram?

Wouldn't toyota and other car manufacturers want to know the vehicle was on/driven out of spec????

The whole affair to me was really weird. Yes, it did not help that no information about failure was provided. (all I can say is driven into ground by someone's ex-wife, not mine).....

Thx

Frank
    EX car driven by an EX-wife in non-mint condition

See AD here: https://www.priuschat.com/threads/fs-2012-prius-v-155k-miles-needs-engine-ont-canada-ny.215062/#post-3018919

One more hole in engine picture added here.... 2012-PriusV-hole2.jpg

#25 frankk74, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    many dealerships are clueless at best, thieves at worst.

toyota warnings are the worst, if you even get one.

there's a secret black box in the car that only toyota corporate has access to, not the dealers.