1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help to identify this Prius part

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by T.S. Elliot, Oct 1, 2019.

1. T.S. Elliot

T.S. Elliot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Last week I hit a large raccoon at about 45 mph head on. While doing a thorough post inspection, I found this loose part. It was laying on top of a bracket which is centered in the car and directly below the junction where the passenger side CV axle meets the transaxle. There were no signs of damage to the CV axle, nor was there any indication that this part belongs to the CV axle.

Any help to identify the part or speculation as to what caused it to become loose would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ouch!!! Just a guess but it looks like it might be part of the lower ball joint.

T.S. Elliot likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems such a large and essential part would be obvious if it was missing? Does the rest of the underside of the car match that extreme state of deterioration? If not, is it possible that this part slipped out of the hands of the person replacing it long ago and then failed to retrieve it? Or is it possible it got jammed up in there as road debris?

4. T.S. Elliot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's a MN car, so of course it's a bit rusty underneath. To the level represented by the part here? Definitely not. It's a fine car. Which gives support to the theory that it was an unretrieved dropped part from long ago.

This car has always ridden rough and I just learned to accept it. To think this piece is actually missing from my ball joints and causing the rough ride is pretty much grasping at straws right? I don't think they could be related.

5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you looked? The rest of us can't see that far. You've already eliminated one area, time to start eliminating others.

T.S. Elliot and PriusCamper like this.
  6. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd like to say it's a NVH related part. Probably just attached only by the rubber, the mass reduces the eigen frequency and/or eliminates vibration by moving in anti phase.
    That means you won't find a loose bolt or a free hole but the rest of these rubber at your car. And without replacement under circumstances like a special speed of the ICE or the car there could be some additional vibrations.
    But this is just my suggestion.
    (Sorry for my poor English, I've hopefully chosen the right or at least understandable technical terms)

SM-G950F ?

T.S. Elliot likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can, but the cable makes a sharp turn where it leaves my house.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. T.S. Elliot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah definitely looked at as much of the suspension as I could while underneath of the car and everything "seemed" to be intact. Despite enjoying DIY and doing whatever I can, I am not a mechanic though.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. T.S. Elliot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ha your English is fine, thanks for the info! My drivetrain runs smooth as butter though :D so I guess no worries.

MickyMatter likes this.
  10. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    From the location and shape, I think it’s the remains of a front drive shaft damper RH. See parts catalog Figure 43-02, Front Drive Shaft (be sure to click View More Images and pick the second one), part name code 43474D, part number 43474-52030, or the illustration in the Repair Manual (more info) under Drivetrain: Drive Shaft: Front Drive Shaft: Components.

PriusCamper and jerrymildred like this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's what I was thinking too, only I couldn't think of any way for it to come off the driveshaft, unless it has a slice clear through it somewhere.

Or, it got slid off the old shaft by somebody doing a driveshaft replacement, and left there on top of the bracket and forgotten.

Or it's somebody else's drive shaft damper and got kicked up there from the road, as suggested in #3.

Does the existing right driveshaft have its damper?

Aftermarket ones often omit that part....

T.S. Elliot and PriusCamper like this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those seem most likely since what looks like a rusty washer looks intact. It had to have come off the end of whatever went through it.

T.S. Elliot likes this.
  13. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks to be a damper for a axle. However, I do not know such a damper would escape the axle with the hole intact. Additionally, I looked at cv axle pics for 2007 Prius , and also for 2004-2009 (AKA Gen2), and did not see a damper used. However, it appears that Priuses from 2010 and onward use a similar (but not identical) damper.

Best guess: road debris thrown up into your car from the bottom or scrap from a repair event where the mechanic accidentally left it in your vehicle.

T.S. Elliot likes this.