1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help, Toyota Denying Battery Warranty!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 05priusowner, Nov 14, 2011.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Glad to hear it has worked out. Yours is a case that we have often wondered as a what-if, CARB warranty surviving if moving from one CARB state to another.

2. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since I don't live in one of those states, I guess I should just consider trading my Prius in on a plug-in Prius in the next year or two... Hey, I'm just looking for another excuse to do it here.

3. 05priusowner

05priusowner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to everyone this site helps! This was a wakeup call, one would just assume that if your warranty book says that something is covered then there will be no additional questions, apparently that is not the case. i love my car so I am happy to get it back soon!

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds to me like you Never should of been told that the battery wasn't covered under warranty.

Plus:

"Update, spoke with dealership manager who said that a regional service team was in to look at a troubled Prius, but couldn't confirm it was mine."

The Dealership Manager couldn't confirm what Prius was being looked at by the regional service team? Huh..I'd think that would be something he would want to know, and should know...and should share...If it's YOUR vehicle they are looking at? You have a right to know that...where, what and why...

I'm glad it seems it's working out for you.

I'm curious. What did they say when they called back and apoligized? Did they admit that it was under warranty?

Not just this incident, but numerous dealership service complaint threads make me believe Toyota really needs to better eductate their dealerships to several realities concerning Prius. This would include, warranty length and coverage, oil fill capacity, and sometimes basic things like how they run, start and operate.

Prius Chat is an educated Hybrid Prius environment, but sometimes the ignorance concerning Prius that seems to eminate from all levels of Toyota dealerships is frightening.

5. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Deleted: Evil Duplicate Post

6. 05priusowner

05priusowner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It does seem weird that they had a regional service team in to look at what I presume was my car, makes me believe that they had never dealt with this situatio before and needed help. The dealership never said I was covered, they said that the factory denied the warranty something about only have 50 state emissions on my car vs 50 State and California, but my emission sticker says I comply with California Emissions. Once again, I thought the difference with the Californina Emissions warranty was the type of car example PZEV and not where it was delivered in the US. In the end, I think that they know it is a real foggy situation and would rather save their reputation and hopefully keep a happy customer, one that was actually looking into purchasing a Prius v.

The 2005 Warranty book should of never had stated three separate times that certain states were covered under the warranty if there is a larger chance that if you live in one of those states you will still be denied and it baffles me how no one can answer why this is.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It may have been a your call to Toyota Customer Care and/or a call from the service tech to Toyota that triggered it and the service manager dude was simply out of the loop (which is not at all unusual).

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP -- Prius from the same MY are all the same emissions wise. PZEV is a certification California offers manufacturers if emissions are no more than SULEV and the emissions equiptment is warranted out to 150k miles. A number of other states have adopted the CA cert, but as you can tell from the discussion the exact year a state puts the provisions into effect is hard to figure out.

I still say the vehicle's warranty booklet is the final say in the matter. I don't know why your dealership balked.

9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is not unusual. Initial warranty claim being denied, and then approved later after the vehicle owner presses their case. The Prius is a special case, as major warranty issues are seldom, combined with idiosyncratic warranty policy. It doesn't make it right, what the dealer and corporate does, but it is something that a Prius owner should watch out for.

10. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have found when dealing with dealerships that saying you post on Prius Chat works like magic.

2 people like this.
  11. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The salesman that sold me that car is on this forum. When I was at his desk I noticed the site bookmarked on his desktop. I mentioned it but he didn't volunteer his nickname.

12. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I still don't quite get it. If the dealership is now replacing the Hybrid Battery at no cost? Then regardless of what they are saying, my guess is they are doing it under warranty. I think you have always been under warranty...they are just catching up with that reality.

As much as I'd like to think they would replace something like a hybrid battery out of the kindness of their hearts and/or simply to avoid the negative feelings of 1 customer.....I doubt it.

If they are NOT admitting it was under warranty then what are they apologizing for? And if this isn't being done as warranty work, who is paying for it?

My guess is this should of been a warranty claim all along. The dealership misinformed you in saying it wasn't...and now they are sweeping it all under the carpet and making nice...

Well good for you...and good for everyone...but I'd ask for an invoice and I'd ask exactly "how" this is being paid for...

If it isn't warranty work? I'd be surprised. Dealerships aren't in the habit of doing charity work.