1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help TPMS keeps flashing randomly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 102mm, Feb 21, 2014.

1. 102mm

102mm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello all, here is my problem: I have a 2013 Prius with approximately 23000 miles on it. The TPMS randomly comes on flashes for a minute then goes Solid for about 10 minutes. On an average trip of about 100 miles or so it will go 3 or 4 times. I've taken it to Toyota to have them look at it, and they kept telling me that they couldn't find anything wrong and it has probably has something to do either with my tire pressure or my tire tread. I just did my 20K service appointment and they tried to tell me the same thing. after going back and forth with the maintenance tech, he finally admitted that the only hook up the car to the diagnostic machine when the light is actually on. After back and forth discussion I finally convince the maintenance tech to keep the car and drive it for a distance so they can see the light come on. The manual says if the TPMS starts flashing to have it looked at. But the problem is that the dealer won't work on it unless the light is actually on which is next to impossible since I'm always on the road when it happens. Has this TPMS issue ever happened to any other Prius owner?

SM-N900V ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are your tyre pressures?

3. 102mm

102mm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All the tire pressure are good. The diagnostic check said there was a loss of signal, but the sensor reads good according to the tech..

SM-N900V ?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try pumping them up to 40 psi and see what happens.

5. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can try resetting the tpms yourself and see if the light goes away. If the tires fine and not leaking of air due to nail or other punctures, I wouldn't be too worried about the light.

6. TheredBull

TheredBull Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My car had the same problem as yours. I found out that my dash camera that I installed in the back triggering the TPMS Light. It could be the led light or LCD screen from the camera. After removing it, the TPMS problem never comes back.

102mm likes this.