1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! :( Traction batter/ac/ev mode problems

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by misspriusdriver, Jun 25, 2017.

1. misspriusdriver

misspriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello...
    I was just at the car wash and didn't realize it is a bad idea to use the stereo, A/C, etc. while in neutral. So, I got the low traction battery notification and turned off all of my extra's that would suck up electricity, but I could not switch into park because I was still half-way through the car wash, which requires me to be in Neutral.

I had to turn my car off and on when I finished the car wash, and then I drove a bit to recharge the battery. The battery recharged quickly, after about 10 minutes. However, the A/C is just blowing warm air, and I tried to put the car in EV Mode, but it is not available. I have tried turning the car off and on, but it is not helping. I looked at all of the liquid containers under the hood and none of them are anywhere near empty.

One thing that is worrying me is that last night I had to drive over three speed bumps that scraped my car. I was driving VERY SLOWLY, but it still scraped. I didn't have any problems driving for several more hours last night, and when I turned on the car today it was fine, until I went into the car wash.

Please please please someone help :( and please tell me this problem will fix itself because I am dead broke and rely on my car for work. The car has 35k miles on it, and I bought the car less than a year ago certified used with 7 yr 100kmile warranty, but I cannot afford thousands right now. I just got out of an abusive relationship and that wiped out all of my savings and my car is all I have.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Park in an open area with nothing in front of you to hit.

2. Put on your parking brake, tight.

3. Shift into drive, with feet on brake, press the accelerator (don't release the brake). This will force charge your battery back up. In about minute.

4. Be happy, all is back to normal

m.wynn and misspriusdriver like this.
  3. misspriusdriver

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you, but the battery indicator says its charged back up now, but the AC still doesn't work.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It probably just needs to cool down. Shut down for an hour, have a Starbucks and try again.

When you starve the car's battery, it'll start shutting down systems to protect itself.

#4 JC91006, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    m.wynn and misspriusdriver like this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you find the AC still doesn't work, can you have the system repaired under warranty? I suggest you review the warranty terms to see if the AC system is included.

misspriusdriver likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When you get out of the woods on this: switch to the other kind of car wash, where the car sits stationary, and the machinery passes by. If possible, go back to DIY washing, it's superior in that you can get in the corner, less prone to damage, and if you've got any parking lot dings, you'll spot them.

Prius unfortunately is a car that can't be off and in Neutral.

7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who knew low HV would kill AC? OP: have you tried resetting ECU by disconnected 12v?

8. misspriusdriver

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hey all, just wanted to update and thank you all for your help. I gave up yesterday and let the car just sit overnight. I even made an appointment at the Toyota dealership service center and rented a car! But this morning, I started my car up and tried the AC again and it works!!! It seems JC91006 was correct about letting the car cool off. I will be very careful going forward.

Thank you all so much for your responses!!!! I was a wreck yesterday, but am absolutely a happy camper today. :D:)o_O:LOL:(y)

kc410 and Mendel Leisk like this.