1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help - Tree Sap

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mozart, May 22, 2012.

1. Mozart

Mozart New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have tree sap on the roof and doors of my 1 month old Prius. Can someone please tell me what is the best way to clean/remove the tree sap?

2. PeteinPG

PeteinPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi M; I have been dealing with pine tree sap for years.

The sooner you get to it the easier it will be to remove. The older the sap the drier it becomes, but it's still can be dealt with effectively.

Clean the area around the sap first. Use "Goof Off" (bought at Home Depot, Ace, or any H/W store) soaked on a paper towel and place that on the sap. If the sap is still fluid and sticky, the Goof Off will remove it very easily. If dried, just keep applying the Goof Off and rub it gently and it will come off as it loosens up. No need to rub it too vigorously.

Once removed, clean the area again or better yet just wash the car and I like to wax that specific area.

Good luck!

[​IMG]

3. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In addition to Goof Off, Bug and Tar remover, available at all the car stores, works well. If it's fresh (like same day), the high pressure wand at a car wash will take most of it off, reducing some labor.

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    Spray the stuff onto a cloth rag then rub- rather than spraying directly onto the car's painted surface.

5. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Just use WD40 if it is fresh.

I used to work at a car wash and for sap, bugs, and gas stains, we would use kerosene or diesel to clean it.

6. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wanted to add if it's just 'light' sap from spring time budding trees you can use normal car wash soap, like Dawn. I park near some smaller trees at my office and get a light dusting of sap on my car but it comes off easily with mild soap and a car wash cloth or mit. No reason to apply all those harsh cleaners if they're not needed.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had pretty good results using a cloth dampened with kerosene plus a dab of liquid car wax.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...another thread we concluded turpentine might work well (like dissolves like) but check safety for car finish first.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, Dawn is definitely not a "normal car wash soap" as it'll strip wax, but yes, it's safe and give it a try first if they're light.

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the proper forum.

11. royvogel

royvogel TanzMan

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would first try warm, maybe very warm water and car wash soap, it that doesn't do it and you can tell with your fingers, if it's gone, I would then go with a clay bar. I would not use Goof Off or any other petroleum derivative as I would be concerned with long term damage to the clear coat. There is no doubt the petroleum products will do the trick, but the long term effects could be noticable, especially if the car will be in the sun.