1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help: under carriage pictures needed.

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by DKTVAV, Nov 6, 2012.

1. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I changed the fog lights in my C4 to HID over the weekend. To make it easy to work around with changing light bubs and mounting the ballasts I remove the black plastic cover under carriage. But after the job is done I have ONE extra screw (wood type screw) I couldn't find where to put it back. Can anyone take few pictures of that black plastic part showing the position of all screws so I can figure out where my extra screw belongs to?

2. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I guess no help on taking pics. Is there a diagram of it? Or instructions of assemble/dissemble with pictures? Or anything that I can trace where it's supposed to be?

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The screw that you describe is more like a sheet metal screw, because it is more likely fully threaded. A wood screw generally has a partially smooth shank right under the head.

Form my 50 years of experience from having worked with cars, the screw will either go into a sheet steel clip or a white plastic insert. A straight threade machine screw or hex bolt, most likely M6x1.0 would go into a threaded welded on captive nut inside the chassis.

Hope this helps.

4. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sorry I'm not sure what you're talking about. Here's the pic of the screw:

P1010807.jpg

5. born_again

born_again Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If the new HID light works, then screw it.

6. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have 4. Let me check later today.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

That's exactly what a described. I advise you to talk to a friend who has experience with cars or just go to a body shop and ask for someone's advice on a slow day.

Thats a 10 mm hex head on that screw.

8. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, the HID lights are working perfectly. But I'm afraid that plastic bottom cover will fall off in the future with one screw missing.

Thanks! Can't wait for your pics.

9. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Village Toyota Parts Department
    has digital microfiche where you can see exploded parts diagrams. I've been using it heavily when disassembling my car for the audio system et al.

If you only have one screw left over, compare each side of the car, or look directly in the middle. That's I'll I've got for now.

born_again likes this.
  10. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It seems that your screw belongs to one of these plastic protection sheets. See my pics.

Attached Files:

11. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

Damn, I couldn't find it. There must be a hole to screw it in but I looked all over and still couldn't find any hole for that screw.

How do I jack up the two front wheels at the same time? I tried to find a safe spot but looked like there's no where safe to put the jack in. I have a craftsman 3 ton jack I hope it's strong enough to lift up half of the weight of the car.

12. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I was trying to make more pics but it difficult to cover the whole area. Try to jack and inspect one side of the car first and then do the same thing with the opposite side.

13. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Owners Manual shows this too, but you can lift the front end of the car by the subframe-side of the lower engine mount. Just be sure to use a hockey puck or block of wood to not scratch off the subframes' rustproofing.

If you're going to poke your head under the car while it's "up", please put jackstands under the side sill jack points to secure the vehicles' weight. I'm sure you already know that. :)

14. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's enough for now, I'll continue over the weekend with hope.

I've been driving with no radio, no AC or fan, windows closed (it's been hot in the last few days in SoCal, even broke few records with one over 114 years) trying to hear any strange noise from down there but so far nothing yet. I'm thinking of remove that part again then put it back to see if I can find the place for that screw.