1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help w/ Codes P0113 & P0102

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriuSocal, Apr 12, 2023.

1. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was doing some preventive maintenance on the prius today, swapped out spark plugs for a fresh set of OEM Denso's, cleaned out my injectors thoroughly and replaced the O rings, Cleaned MAF sensor w/ MAF sensor cleaner as well as cleaned out my throttle body (w/ carb cleaner) while I was there. After putting everything back together, The engine shook as if choking on the carb cleaner that was in the TB, it shut off twice and then after a few seconds the car was idling smooth. This may have been normal after the service given but it's the next part that has me concerned...

I went into the driver seat to test drive it and noticed the check engine light was now on. Took my scanner and read codes P0113 Intake Air Temp Sensor 1 Circuit High Input and P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input. Not sure what happen but the car is running like new, it fixed the hesitation that I was previously having as well as engine no longer shakes and idles like a new car BUT I have those codes and so wondering if anyone else ever experience this or can chime in on what could have happen. I had cleaned out the MAF sensor before and never got a CEL after and not sure what caused those codes to come up.

Should I simply just erase the codes since car is running well now? Or will they go away on their own? Check something else?

Thanks in advance!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I would not initially be worried by the codes as it makes sense that they are items you worked on. My first instinct would be to save the scan and then clear the codes and then see what happens next. I would, however, double-check my work and ensure the connections to the MAF sensor are fully seated with the all-important click.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would use your scan device to read the ECM data- does it report Intake Air Temperature and Mass AirFlow?

Clear the codes and see if they immediately return. Both of those codes together make me suspect that the MAF connector isn't properly seated ("clicked").

If so, the ECM has backup strategies it uses in the event that certain sensor inputs are missing. This allows the engine "to run ok", but it's not going to have the power, emissions, or mpg that it should.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

PriuSocal likes this.
  4. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will check the live data today to see if the MAF sensor is good. The connectors are connected for sure, checked and triple checked to make sure as that was suspect to me at first. I even ensured all the pins were in the correct depth and aligned. Car has lots of power (more than before the service) but will verify all this after my daily drive today. I was thinking of leaving the codes on until after the drive in case the CEL goes away on its own as it has on some others cases. Will report

5. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turned on car today and the engine no longer shakes or rattles at startup like before, Check Engine light is also gone (on its own) without having cleared the codes. I do however show there are 2 DTC stored which in fact are the p0113 and p0102. Checked live data on scanner and shows:

IAT: -40 Celcius
    MAF 0.07 g/s
    TPS 24.5%

As in other videos, my MAF numbers dont move from that value when the engine is on. Which should indicate a bad MAF correct?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The intake air temperature looks unusual for SoCal in April, and MAF numbers that don't move seem suspicious also.

Those are two different sensors but they're both built into that one piece that goes into the air duct. The temperature sensor is the little bulb that's easier to see, and the MAF sensor is the thin wires buried inside that are hard to see. Both circuits are carried in that one plug that connects to it.

Before assuming both sensors have gone south, I would be checking out the wiring pretty thoroughly.

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since you cleaned up the MAF sensor and TB, then best to disconnect the 12v, which will reset the fuel trims to the factory settings.
    Here is the workup for DTC P0102 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/2054m/cip0100.pdf

Here is the workup for DTC P0113 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/2054m/cip0110.pdf

PriuSocal likes this.