1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help w/ solar panels

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SSimon, Jul 15, 2008.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I called them. They provided me with the name of a local distributor for their product and I'm calling them tomorrow. This system has to be hooked up to natural gas line and vented outdoors. It doesn't seem like it would be an inexpensive endeavor so I have to see how the numbers would make sense.

I'm a little nervous in that this system appears to have the same hazards as space heaters. This won't marry well with my OCD. The other drawback is that if they don't have a local distributor to service the unit and something goes wrong, the unit will be useless.

On the positive side, zone heating would compliment our lifestyle as we really do heat two rooms that need not be maintained as much as the others.

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Simon,

To allay your fears. Rinnai heaters come in two styles, vented and unvented. Unvented are not permitted in most jurisidictions. The vented style draw all their combustion air from outside the building, and vents all the exhaust (fan forced) outside the building. The combination intake/exhaust vent is usually directly out the wall behind the unit. They can vent other ways as well. They carry all UL/CE ICBO ratings, and are approved for installation in sleeping rooms. They are cool to touch.

As for local service. I have been using them in a several houses for years with out EVER having a service call. I take the cover of them each year and vacuum the fan housing. (There are also integral filters that need cleaning now and again.

Rinnai

I don't sell or represent Rinnai or anyone else, but when I find products that really work well I will pass on my opinion,

Icarus