1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! What is this? (found under car)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Novel, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Novel

Novel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Help! Any idea what this is, which I found on the garage floor under the front of my 2007 Prius? Should I be worried?
    found under car.JPG

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the rubber cover for the front door (on the body side, below the U-shaped latch)

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It's a hole plug.
    Nothing to worry about.

4. Novel

Novel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see just what you're talking about, Tidelands Prius! This looks just like that but is about twice as big.

But hole plugs are there for a reason. Good idea to find out which hole is now missing a plug and reinstall the plug to keep water, mud, and who-knows-what? from getting in there.

Thanks, Sam! You're a good detective. Whew! What hole do you think is now unplugged? And should I get it fixed the next time I go into the dealer?

#4 Novel, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2020
  5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There are typically two plugs to be attached by the dealer during their Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI). There should be another one on either the left or right side of the underbody between the front and back doors. Simple enough to replace.

6. Novel

Novel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, New Hybrid Owner. That makes sense. However, it would mean going into the dealer, something I'd like to avoid right now if I can.

I think I see what you're talking about, Rrxing. It goes around a small screw? But the one that fell off is larger -- 1 1/2 inches.

#6 Novel, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2020
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sometimes. Other times, they are just there for "looks".
    And that one looks pretty pristine. So it might be an "extra" left over from the last service visit OR from the factory.

Either way.......it is highly unlikely that whatever hole might be left open will cause any real problem over the course of any reasonable lifetime of the vehicle.

BUT......by all means, if it worries the owner, try to inspect the whole vehicle to find out where it came from.
    And if that fails, PAY a shop to put it up on a rack and do a better inspection.
    And when neither of those things is able to find where it came from.......then have nightmares and loose sleep over it.
    Consider trading the vehicle in so you can regain your piece of mind.:eek:
    :rolleyes::whistle:
    :ROFLMAO:

8. Novel

Novel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sam, I might have to trade in the car AND then move since the plug could have caused damage to my house when it rolled across the garage floor! :) Thanks for the excellent information.

9. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I can't think of a single good reason for a but hole plug on any vehicle

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s there for a reason.

There’s 2 in the hatch one under the spare tire and One in the bottom of the battery well. Which is handy because A G2 leaks like a sieve.

Take the hatch apart take the spare tire out and get a flashlight and look in the bottom of the well the 12 volt battery sits in its full of water.
    Or not.... see which are side is missing that plug, if the car lives outside no garage your u need those plugs installed as mice I’ll get in the car and tear it up.
    In fact check the cabin filter it may show mice activity if so check the Engine air filter box

11. Novel

Novel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Ed. I can probably figure out how to take the spare tire out and look underneath it. If this involves removing a battery, I don't know that I'm going to be able to do that. Are you saying that the battery well could be full of water?

Mice activity. Yet more to worry about.

I assume checking the cabin filter and the engine air filter box involve disassembling things. How would one even know how to do that?

I'd be willing to try if it was fairly simple like a few screws, but I have no idea how.

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are both quite simple and no tools required, so no screws to remove. Google it, or search the Gen 2 forums here. It's been discussed many times.

13. Novel

Novel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great! I'll do that today. Thanks.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    if You have a leak there’s water in the battery well.