1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! What's this tire mark MEAN?!?!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Oct 25, 2020.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you swap out winter tires, the tire guys put RF LF LR RR on the tires.

I know that means Left Front, etc, but does that refer to the spot they removed the tire from or the spot to install it when it goes back on the car...???

I have a flat rear tire on my Subaru -- I can see the big nail in the tire. Yes, I could put on a spare, but I have a doctor's appoint in Portland first thing in the morning -- and I NEED to drive the Subaru.

I have a set of snow tires I was going to install in Late November, but, to facilitate my doctor's appointment am probably going install the snows myself today. No local tire stores open on Sunday, so it's up to me.

I just know it is important to get the Subaru tires on the proper wheels because of symmetrical AWD.

Any help?
    kris

2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would mark the tire position where it was removed FROM. I wouldn't read more than that into it.

cyberpriusII and fuzzy1 like this.
  3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, i would also, but I am not a tire installer and I would hope all the shops do it the same.....I just do not want to fry the AWD.

Like usual, I am probably overthinking this.

I suppose I could just go with that assumption and install them based on that idea. Then when I take the flat in for repair, ask them if I did it correctly....
    kris

#3 cyberpriusII, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I might reason that, whether they came from those positions, or were judged suitable for going to those positions, they're probably ok either way.

Is there any difference in wear that you can discern?

cyberpriusII likes this.
  5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They look the same to me. And Mr. Lincoln agrees, but, of course, I think he is no longer a credible source...:whistle::whistle::whistle:

As I said in my edit, I now feel like I just over-reacted. Going to wait until the temps edge out of the 20's and go with the assumption that marks are from the spot the tire was removed from.
    kris

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Are the tires the same model? The same size? Been in service together for the same amount of time, or have the same level of wear?

If the answer is yes to those, I wouldn't worry. From what I've read, potential issues for the AWD come up when replacing only some of the tires with new, or perhaps when mixing different tire models. The wear difference between old and new means a difference in the tires' actual diameter, which means different rotations per mile, and that is what causes problems for the AWD system. Likewise, even if the same size, different tire models can have a different true diameter.

If the slight differences in wear that occur to a set of tires were enough to fry the AWD, people would have stopped buying cars with it awhile ago.

PS: a tire gauge can had for under a couple of bucks from an autoparts store, and they are also useful for checking for uneven wear across a tire.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Also check to see if the winter tires are directional (left side only, right side only). There should be markings on the tire itself if they are.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask them, the next time they are open.

If you assume wrong, then you can re-rotate them later. A couple trips to Portland isn't anywhere near enough to cause any problem with scrambling a rotation pattern.

And as RRxing said, check the sidewalls first to see if the tires are directional. BTDT :whistle:

cyberpriusII likes this.
  9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    No sure I understand the question.
    Odds are the tire tech is writing RF LF RR LR so they don't mix up the rims.

If you are asking about imbedded or factory marks on the tire, and you are mounting dismounting tires onto your rims, the following may be most helpful:

"Find the valve stem on the side of the tire. If it is lined up with the yellow dot, the valve stem is located at the heaviest part of the tire. If it is lined up with the red dot, then it is located at the lightest part of the tire. These dots guide the technician to make sure that the tire is properly balanced during installation."

Typically the valve stem goes to the lightest part of the tire. TPMS may alter than statement as it may be the heaviest part. It can be an art moving the tire around the rim to attain a near perfect balance before adding weights.

Good luck.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think she has winter tires mounted on a separate set of rims. The tire tech likely wrote on the tires with chalk or soapstone. (For mine, I use a felt tip pen on the inside rim itself.) She would only be swapping already-mounted tire-wheel sets.

I'm not sure she is far enough along the road to recovery from that horrid injury to be mounting and dismounting tires on and off rims by herself.

cyberpriusII and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am 99% sure they refer to the spot they removed the tire from. The rotation can be straight front to back or crisscross depending on make, so indicating the spot to install it when it goes back on the car would be different if you use different rotation patterns.

If you really want to be sure, you can just check the LR and RR tires and compare them to RF and LF tires. The rear tires always have more stones and pebbles on the treads than the front tires. If you see more stones in LR an RR, then they came off from the rear.

#11 Salamander_King, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Mendel Leisk and cyberpriusII like this.
  12. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, OP here again.

It was an experience. An hour job, only took 4.5 hours.....Subaru tires are much bigger and weigh much more than Prius tires. My husband, Kevin, actually offered to swap out the already mounted winter tires with the all seasons that were on the car this morning.

All it took was one look from me to send him off to take care of the ankle-biter, instead. I need to do this stuff to prove to myself that I can do it. Hope that makes sense.

So, success. If any of you are interested in the details, read on.

Got out the winter tires. Just carrying them 20 yards to the Subaru was enough! :)

But, I kept on. Decided to check the pressure in the winter tires. They were all down about three to four PSI. Not much, but figured I would "top them off."

Big mistake.

My cheapo $30 Home Depot Husky tire pump had developed a hole in the air hose (I have probably used it all of six times). So, I bled the first tire down to six PSI before I realized something was wrong. Now a choice. Take the Prius for a 25 minute trip to the closest town and buy a new pump. Or install the Outback spare and take it to town.

O.K. I am trying to "get back to fighting shape," so I decide to put on the Subaru spare and drive to town/

My only choice was a foot pump or a cheap 12-volt ($26). I purchased the cheap 12-volt. Back to the Subaru. It took the cheap pump about 25 minutes to inflate the Subaru tire == not including the two times I shut it down to let it cool off.

Meanwhile, I broke loose all the other lug nuts and hauled down the 90=pound floor jack from the barn, which is a good 200 yards away. :eek:

This is getting long, and even I am getting bored. Basically had trouble lifting the winter tires high enough to get them on the lug nuts, but managed to do it.

But, before I did that, I wire-brushed the inside of the winter wheels and applied anti=seize so that they would not "weld" to the car.

Called it done.

Took MUCH LONGER than it should have, but I did manage to do it.

Thanks to all of you for your help/support. And Kevin managed to survive the afternoon with only a bloody mouth (my kid has a mean punch) -- so it was all good -- sort of.

Kris

Prodigyplace and fuzzy1 like this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... Yet another job that you have recovered enough to do again!

14. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    In the early days of radial tires when we transitioned from bias ply there were some radial tire failures and we developed an old wise tail that you can't reverse the direction of the tire. This is actually nonsense. the manufacturers put a directional arrow which only refers to water displacement. Don't mistaken this to mean that you can't flip the tires around because it will somehow mysteriously fail. the only tire I can think of that is an exception and cannot be rotated is from the Acura NSX. It's a special tire and each tire is made for its placement on the vehicle and cannot be moved to any other place. It has to do with belt directions and the belt directions helping the car steer. They could still be rotated but the car won't perform the same. I don't know of any other scenarios like that

#14 douglasjre, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    cyberpriusII likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In this wet climate zone and wet season, that water-shedding tread direction is certainly what I meant, not that old radial mythology. And I suspect RRxing meant the same.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gah.

Having a more convincing compressor wired into the car may sound like some kind of offbeat indulgence, but I can confirm that one gets used to it real fast. If living in a place where the alternative was inconvenient trips into town and/or physical discomfort, even more so. This arrangement (with a Viair 450C) will fill an SUV tire up right quick.

[​IMG]

cyberpriusII likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Might you have an ordinary bicycle floor pump hanging around? That shouldn't take anywhere near as long.

cyberpriusII and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not as critical, but having the unidirectional tires on backwards could mean more noise and higher rolling resistance.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  19. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Duct tape solves lots of problems! I would have tried taping the crud out of that airhose to see if I could get some pressure to the tire. Maybe several layers of tape AND a hose clamp on top...

But glad you got it all taken care of!

cyberpriusII likes this.
  20. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Why didn't I try to fix the broken hose. Good question. Indeed the very thought occurred to us yesterday evening after the Seahawks game.

2) Why did I not use a bike pump? An equally good question that also occurred to us after football.

I think I was just too focused on whether I could actually do the task, not on problem-solving. Very poor on my part. But, another little thing that will hopefully remind me to try to think things through next time something goes wrong. <also wanted to get done so I could watch football>

Oh, I have an old hip injury and I guess jumping up and down on the lug nut wrench and kicking it to break loose the lug nuts did not agree with my hip as it is painful and I am limping today. On the plus side, I was seeing a doctor about my hip and arm this morning in Portland....so....

Thanks again all. The winter tires actually stayed on the car all the way to Portland and back Seven hours of driving about did me in though.

If I can ever find my 19mm socket, I might even check the torque (or have the tire shop check it when I take the flat in for repair).
    kris