1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with 12 volt battery

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jeanie1983, Mar 18, 2014.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm making chili for this weekend's bball fest and drinking a Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Ale...

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Peanut Butter And Banana Ale - Rogue Ales

so, take my thoughts for what they are worth. But you got this car from another woman who put in a battery pretty recently, so your 12V should be good, but....you really don't know how she treated it. She could have never driven the car. She could have left all the lights on several times...something that might have taxed the battery. So, you MAY need a new one.

The figures you quote 11.1-11.3 ARE NOT good.

Someone else will give you better advice probably, but I would put it on a charger at 2 amps for a couple of days. As I said, BritPrius, DoRunRon, PatrickWong or 15 others can probably give you better advice.

Back to my chili and ale.

usnavystgc and jeanie1983 like this.
  2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    No, normal for an AGM battery is about 12.8 resting voltage (no load). It should never drop below 12v as that indicates either that the battery has been drained or if after charging needs to be replaced.

JeffD

jeanie1983 likes this.
  3. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

X2

Battery should be at least 12.5V minimum when fully charged (12.7-12.9 being ideal).

If you want to try and revive it, get yourself a quality charger like a Ctek 3300 (make sure to remove battery cables when charging).

4. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just had to buy a new 12V batt for my Gen1 last week. O'Reilly's Auto Parts ordered me in one. AutoZone "didn't have one... don't even carry them." O'Reilly's said, "That's not in our system but bring it in and we'll try to match it with something equivalent." Guess who got my business. I can't off the top of my head remember the brand, but the part number for it is "PRIUS"... when they're typing it into their computer. The terminals are switched and it's about 1.5" wider than the OEM battery... but after some hacking to the battery bracket and manhandling, I got it in there an back on the road.

Oh, and it was $190 tax incl. <sigh>

Just a suggestion and my experience. ;)

5. Prius Mitch

Prius Mitch New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My local Toyota dealer has the replacement 12v battery for my 02 for $190. It can't hurt to call around to some of the dealers and see how much they charge.

6. Wisco

Wisco Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the Miata conversion. Still an AGM, but cheaper to replace.

These 12v batteries are rarely fully charged in commuter situations, and are low capacity. Yet they are absolutely crucial for proper functioning. I keep a second battery in the trunk next to the jumper cables, in a pinch I can jump my own car.

I should add I had the battery anyway. I'm not advocating buying a spare.