1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with AC Please. 2009 Prius. Blowing not cold air.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SunMan, Aug 28, 2019.

1. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

That was the answer my feeble mind was looking for, and it makes perfect sense as to why I cannot put in the 16 oz. Thanks.

2. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep!. The compressor is not trying to turn on anymore. A DTC of 1476 is logged in.

3. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, you were on a reasonable path and since you determined the compressor had physical damage, it needed to be replaced.

#84 Patrick Wong, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Skibob likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    upload_2019-10-4_18-4-22.png

6. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for being so modest, and not enjoying your "I told you so moment", LOL. Would it be a good idea to buy a used one from eBay to should I try to find one at a pull-it-apart locally? Not sure if it made by denso, because I cannot find it at denso.com.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    eBay or a local source would be good.

Another possibility would be for you to seek professional assistance from your local dealer to see what the dealer tech has to say about the current status of the AC system. If he determines the inverter is suspect, you can get the car back and do the swap yourself with a used unit.

8. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, the only issue is that they want to charge $70 to do that, and I am thinking that just add another $100 and replace the inverter. You certainly have a point though. At this point maybe replace the inverter, and if that does not solve the problem then definitely pay the $70 because there is nothing else to guess or try anymore. Right?

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The next step would probably to replace the inventer but I am not convinced the B1476 code confirms that 100%. Maybe this code is set because the refrigerant is low.

11. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Its very much possible. That's why I ordered an inverter and an amplifier. I am going to change the amplifier 1st and then the inverter. Somehow it not setting in my head as why i cannot charge 16oz without the system being turned on. I would really appreciate if someone can guide me to a post where amplifier replacement is explained. After changing these two I would think that there is an obstruction of some sort in the AC line. Very frustrating.

Come to think of it, before I do anything, I will try to bypass the pressure switch and try to run the system one more time. Good reminder Aegean.

#91 SunMan, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  12. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bypassed the pressure switch and the same results. The compressor clicks and shuts off. I do not know if the amplifier would help. I am thinking of swapping the inverter and while doing that try to take out the low side ac line and see if there is any obstruction there and change the o-ring. I do not see any other option here. Will update after that.

13. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replaced the inverter yesterday with lots of hopes, but I guess it is not the inverter. Today I replaced the AC amplifier, but no go on that too. Now I am seriously thinking that it is the HV battery. Unless someone can think of other ideas, I certainly have run out of them. After all it is a 2009 model, so the battery is now more than 10 years old. I do not think the 12V battery has anything to do with it. The compressor makes clicking sound for 3 seconds and shuts off then outputs DTC B1476. This sound reminds me of the clicking sound a starter makes in a non-hybrid car when the battery is almost dead, and fails to turn the flywheel.

So now I need to seek the best and least expensive way to rebuild the hv battery. I want to do this myself. We have 2 other cars between 3 family members, and I can do this over the weekends. Any help from an experienced person would be great. I hope lech auto air conditionin has time to input something.

Well I am disappointed but not heartbroken because something good came out of this. I learnt a lot about the hybrid cars. Eventually we will sell the frontier and the odyssey and get hybrids. And I'll be ready for them.

Next I will writing about my TPMS and tires experience (good). Hope that helps a few people.

14. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The HV battery by definition is considered bad when it throws codes, triangle of death etc. Your HV battery is good if there are no HV battery codes. I wouldn’t touch it.

You have replaced all relevant parts so the issue might be at the power wiring and related relays. They will not give a code. The communication wiring and computers would probably give a code so I doubt it.

As far as the B1476 remember that you are still missing a lot of refrigerant and this probably throws the code.

Lastly as you mentioned maybe there is a restriction in the refrigerant system.

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Why couldn’t it be a dud compressor?

16. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No battery codes whatsoever. Had not researched anything about the battery so far. So I will learn as I go. I have torque pro. Trying to find some custom pid's to test individual cells to get better idea or assurance.

I am not sure how to find that blockage, if it is then it is airtight. I left the can hooked up for hour in hopes that slowly it might get in there.

This is the 1st problem ever that I have not been able to get a handle on and it is very frustrating.

Why I thought that it could be the battery. I am thinking this from a very basic logic, that the system is giving a go ahead and inverter is supplying the power to turn the compressor, but it is the actual power (amp) that is not enough to turn the compressor. Should that be even an avenue to consider.

17. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know right? I would been ok with the money spent and the work put in. Or inverter would been fine too. Just damn.

18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    no I mean this new one.

If it’s giving the same physical symptom- a click or two, and giving a DTC for a locked rotor… maybe it isn’t lying?

unrelated general comment: the speed by which you can transfer a gas from one system to another has a lot to do with how fast you can produce it (evaporation) in the source system. Lech’s videos show him bringing the gas from a much larger canister than what you’re using.

To sum up: I think there’s something wrong with the new compressor, and your fill will naturally be quite slow at the end even when everything else is working right.

19. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That certainly a possibility. I read a post where someone tested the compressor for 30 seconds without installing it first. Or may I can open it a see if the rotor turns by hand. You think?

And that's what I figured later that he is filling from a larger tank which a much higher pressure than a 12 oz can. But regardless filling from a can should not take more than two hours, unlesss there in an obstruction of some sort, maybe like a locked compressor.

#99 SunMan, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  20. SunMan

SunMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep! It was the new compressor. I had thought about it but I guess not serious enough. Who would have thought that a reman, would be bad. But two minds are better than one. So I took it out. The 1st thing I did was drained the oil. It was totally black and had metal grindings in it. And of course it would not work because it was locked. That just shows how untrustworthy eBay sellers could be. My guess is that it was never rebuilt but just painted over. It still had the original harness on it. After stating the facts and photos, the seller sent me another one. This was rebuilt, I could tell. But this time I did not want to take a chance. Without connecting any hoses, I put in 1 oz of oil, shorted the pressure switch and turned the ac on for 3 seconds. It worked. Then I poured another 2 oz of oil, installed the compressor, vacced for hour and a half. The recharge was faster than before. But in an hour I could only put in 10.5 oz. Without shorting the pressure switch, turned the ac on with a can still connected in hopes that it would suck the the rest of the 4.5 oz, but it did not. The compressor is fairly quite, but working. I can feel the cold air from the vents, so I know it is working. Now here are the issues I am having.

I cannot recharge any further than 10.5 oz
    The manifold gauges do not show the pressures I should expect, low 22-36 and high 198-228. The low shows 65, and the high shows 70.

Can someone shed a light on it. Is it because the temperatures are between 55-61 F. If that is the case will I be able to tackle this now or do I have to wait till summer.

Now I have two perfectly working inverters. I think I can still return the eBay one, but not too concerned about it.

bisco likes this.