1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with AC Please. 2009 Prius. Blowing not cold air.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SunMan, Aug 28, 2019.

1. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    there is a math formula to get the exact more efficient proper refrigerant charge weight for that. or you get what you got, and just + or - and that's good enough. Got to love that refrigerant glide. Hychill R290 + R600 good stuff better refrigerant then R12, R134 definitely beter then R1234YF

2. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Lets say if I would put Hychill in my car Pruis takes for example 420g of R134 then I would start with 140g of Hychill and start from there. To do it right I would fluch out the system and replace the oil with sro500 oil.

If I wanted to make it safe. Then I would use a plate heat exchanger to run Glycol to the evaporator. Grade school science project

#122 lech auto air conditionin, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  3. xland

xland New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Too techno fro me
    But keeping the evap outlet above 0 C is a good place to start.

the hvac oil is stupidly expensive here in Australia

if I get back into auto aircon servicing I would buy some oil and a dedicated manifold gage set.

Lecho can u explain how the tx valve works in the gen 2 prius and how that is different from a normal auto tx valve ?

xland

4. xland

xland New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Lech:

amateurs and refrigerant airconditioning hehe you know what I mean
    experts without any thermodynamic theory or training..........

regards
    X

5. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It operates the same as a general generic H Block type expansion valve pipes that were used on Chrysler’s back in the late 90s going into 2000 and then a decade later majority of the rest of the manufacturers adopted the same design. Auto manufacturers including the Prius got away from the traditional little brass tea shaped handle with a little bulb on top some of them would have temperature sensing bulbs on them others would have suction line balancing tubes on them somehow the combination of both. The H block style was the easiest cheapest all in one satisfied all the manufactures. DENSO was talking about using some somewhat special design supersonic expansion type device that never made it to the United States on any of our cars that I have ever seen. Technician's Toolbox | Standard Motor Products

here is a link for mode of operation of expansion valve. Below is a search term that you can put into Google and you can get a lot of videos and diagrams of how the valve operates in action ( “operation H Block expansion valve” ) input the search link I having quotes in Google and you’ll find a wealth of information