1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with brake code please (!)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by N88GUM, Jul 31, 2021.

1. N88GUM

N88GUM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've looked through the posts and cannot find anything that results in a brake code 44 . Brake safety warning lamp lights after 15 sec on start up. I replaced the left rear brake caliper a couple of years ago.. Didn't use techstream or remove any relays from memory. Everything seemed to go ok and the car has passed yearly inspections without issue. No lights on dash. I recently replaced my hybrid battery with new from Toyota and whilst I had the left rear trim removed I noticed a connector with a rusted brown wire. See photo. I made new connections and now have the safety warning light on. Please can someone advise the error codes.. Just flashes 4 and then 4 from what I can decipher.

Attached Files:

2. N88GUM

N88GUM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Still no idea on the error code but disconnected battery for 30 mins and the warning has gone?... Baffled, but will have to accept the fix

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the video. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video must be worth ten thousand.

The light equates to the ECB system and the blink code of 44 from that light is C1378.

Here is the repair manual diagnostic for this code:

DTC C1378 (Blink Code 44) | Capacitor Communication Circuit Malfunction

There are two detail codes associated with this code that can be retrieved with a professional level code reader that knows how to interogate all of the Prius' ECUs. Having the detail code can help focus more specifically with diagnosing the problem area.

The bad news is that disconnecting the power to the ECU does not fix anything, it just erases the diagnostic from the ECU memory. However, this code can start off being very intermitant – until it isn't. So, for now you will need to wait and see.

All the best.

#3 dolj, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Danny S and N88GUM like this.
  4. N88GUM

N88GUM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dolj.
    Appreciate your time to explain and share, thank you.
    The attached diagnostic is beyond my understanding but I'll definitely come back to it if it re occurs. Keep up the excellent support, there is a whole community of people that value forums like this.
    Additionally to disconnecting the battery I did also go back and solder the connections to ensure they were good. If the bad connection had anything to do with the error... It doesn't appear to be from the diagrams shared.