1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help With Buying & Installing Aftermarket Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by fhqwhgad, Aug 14, 2013.

1. fhqwhgad

fhqwhgad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    New member and proud new owner of a 2013 Prius 3 here! :)

I've been wanting to get the Momo Drone 17x7.5 wheels after someone in the forum mentioned them.
    I've never installed aftermarket wheels before, so I'd appreciate any help in answering some questions I've been facing:
    1. I'm considering on getting them from CARiD, but should I order the package they have (tires included), or is their selection of tires not that good/pricey?
    2. If I do order the package, do I need the TPMS for each of the wheels? They recommend that I get them, but they are kinda pricey ($199 total).
    3. Any recommended LRR tires for these wheels? Or do I not have (much of) a choice for these wheels?
    4. It mentions that it comes with a free "installation kit", which includes "chrome lug nuts or bolts to replace the factory hardware, chrome sleeved valve stems (if needed), hub rings (if needed)." Is this all I need for it, or am I missing something that may end up damaging the car/tires/wheels?
    5. If I'm going to have it installed by a professional, is there a good place that anyone can recommend (in the Los Angeles county area)?

I'd love any sort of help/answers. Thanks for reading!

2. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This doesn't answer your question, but I felt the need to post this.
    [​IMG]

3. fhqwhgad

fhqwhgad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    uhh... thanks... I think.

4. burstaneurysm

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So your username didn't come from this?

5. burstaneurysm

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyway, in order to provide some help...

What tires are they offering on the wheel package?
    If you order the package, the TPMS will be installed when they arrive. Without it, you'd need to have the sensors currently on your car swapped, which would require getting the tire remounted at an additional cost. Call a tire shop and see what they charge to swap sensors, it might be cheaper to just get the new wheels with TPMS equipped.

Hubrings, and lugnuts are all you need for the install. The valvestems will be installed by the seller.

Also, a wheel swap is relatively easy to do, it would be cheaper for you to buy a floor jack and a 4-way lug wrench and DIY rather than pay a shop to install.

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You will need to have the car computer updated to use the new TPMS. Most large tire shops have the equipment to do it. Each TPMS has a serial number you need to remove the current numbers from the Prius computer and add the new ones. That's because the Prius can only store 4 numbers.

7. fhqwhgad

fhqwhgad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

LOL, yes. I've been using this email/username for so long that I've forgotten about HSR... thanks for bringing that back!

8. fhqwhgad

fhqwhgad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks for the info! Well, on CARiD's site, they have a checkbox to purchase these ORO-TEK sensors ($199 to buy, free installation). Not sure if those are any good nor if I can just throw the sensors I have from the factory onto the new tires?

In terms of the tires, here's what they offer for the 17" Momo Drones (within my budget of $125 per tire):

-NEXEN:
    N3000
    CP672
    N5000
    N7000
    N9000

-KUMHO:
    Ecsta AST
    Ecsta 4X

-DELINTE:
    D7

-HANKOOK:
    Ventus V4 ES H105
    Ventus V12 evo K110

-FALKEN:
    Azenis PT722
    Ziex ZE912

-GENERAL:
    G-MAX AS-03

-FIRESTONE:
    Precision Sport

-NITTO:
    NeoGen

-YOKOHAMA:
    AVID Envigor

I've swapped spare tires in emergencies before, but I just wanted to see if replacing with a new wheel might require different parts/methods to do...

9. fhqwhgad

fhqwhgad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks for the tip; so would it be better to order the wheel and tire separately, then have the tire mounted/sensors re-calibrated? The ORO-TEK sensors they sell are installed for free, but are $199 for the whole set. Would that be a good way to go?

10. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I checked a few of these tires - it looks like they are all V rated. Which means MAX performance Summer tires.
    You will take a BIG MPG hit and they will probably only last 20k miles.
    I suggest you check F8L's list of LRR tires (here on PriusChat).
    You might want to buy the rims and then get tires and have them mounted at America's(Discount) Tire. You might have a problem with that 7.5 inch width - there may be no LRR tire that will fit.

burstaneurysm likes this.
  11. fhqwhgad

fhqwhgad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know about F8L's list (y) (y)

I checked out CARiD and it showed 4 that are in the list (they were part of the above-my-budget list).
    I'm thinking of either going with the Michelin Primacy MXM4 (Costco has them for $168... might have to pony up the extra couple hundred $..) or the Yoko AVID Envigors.