1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with Code P219A for a third time

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Kpeeling, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Kpeeling

Kpeeling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have a 2013 Prius with close to 250k miles. A few months ago, my engine light came on and it had the code above plus the one showing that the third cylinder was misfiring. It was running rough. Knowing I had never changed the spark plugs (for over 100k miles) I had them replaced. The light went out and it's been fine until last week. Engine Light came on, had it checked by a friend and it showed code P219A plus the code for a misfire on cylinder 4. It wasn't running rough this time so I called my mechanic and scheduled it to be checked in a few days. My friend reset the codes. I drove for a day before the light came back on. This time the only code is P219A, showing 5 times! Any idea what might be going on?
    Thanks in advance.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Coils or injectors

Kpeeling likes this.
  3. Kpeeling

Kpeeling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If injectors, is there anything easy that I can buy and put in the gas? If coils, that sounds like I'm going on a fishing expedition unless I replace all 4. What should I expect my mechanic to check?
    Thanks

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    p219a:

"Fuel System Air-fuel Ratio Cylinder Imbalance Monitor

The ECM uses the air fuel ratio sensor monitoring method and the crankshaft position sensor monitoring method to monitor injector injection volume inconsistencies and air fuel ratio imbalance between the cylinders due to leaks in the air intake/exhaust system, etc.

If the air fuel ratios between the cylinders are inconsistent due to cylinders being lean or rich, the ECM stores a DTC."

Anything that impacts combustion efficiency can drive this fault. If you have ruled out an ignition issue, I would swap injectors between cylinders and see if the misfire moves.

But more often than not, this code is due to poor valve sealing on recent toyotas. I would do a leakdown test on all cylinders. I think you have a burned exhaust valve or a worn exhaust valve guide.

Raytheeagle and Kpeeling like this.
  5. Kpeeling

Kpeeling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring