1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with codes for incapacitated Gen2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ack714, May 1, 2021.

1. ack714

ack714 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello all, I have been having issues with my beloved Gen 2 for a while. I realize all good things must come to an end but I wanted to run the codes my mechanic pulled yesterday and make sure Im not missing anything before I steal my own catalytic converter lol and responsibly dispose of my vehicle.

P3000
    P0AFA
    C1310
    C1378

The car hasnt been driven in more than 3months. I replaced the 12v again 2 weeks ago. It turns on but the engine doesnt kick in. Just about all dash lights are on. Can shift into N. All power comes up, radio, windows, fan. Before it died last year the brake dash light would come on with the red triangle on after driving 30 or so minutes. One time the brakes would not work properly and I had to turn the car off a while before driving it to my home. The brakes pretty were at about 25%. Brake pads are fine. Changed in 2019. The display also failed a few months before it brake and red triangle issues.
    Any troubleshoot advice would be appreciated. I brought this up here last year so this is a kind of continuation but with proper codes from a mechanic.

#1 ack714, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    P0AFA refers to the voltage-sensing wire harness inside the traction battery. Happily, in a Gen 2, that wire harness is available for sale, and it's reasonable. (I only recently learned you can't buy it separately for Gen 3. Phooey. I have a Gen 3.)

C1378 refers to a problem communicating with the brake backup power capacitor box, the strange black box in back that's right next to the 12 volt battery. Sometimes it gets jostled when somebody replaces the 12 volt battery. I'd give a quick look back there for anything obvious, then (if that didn't reveal the problem) go ahead with the troubleshooting in the repair manual (more info).

P3000 is probably just set because of the P0AFA, and C1310 just because of the P3000.

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  3. ack714

ack714 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Thank you for the informative reply. I'll start looking around the back space.

4. ack714

ack714 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good morning would this be the voltage sensing wire harness you mention? upload_2021-5-8_10-7-52.png

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's what one looks like, yes. I can't tell by looking whether it's the right one for a Gen 2 Prius.

6. ack714

ack714 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks. I just wanted to make sure this was the part. I will get the correct one for my vehicle if I order one.
    My display screen isn’t working some I cant run a diagnostics. Is there a way to test the Brake Power Capacitor to tell if that is faulty? That seems like a less involved repair job for diy. Thanks you.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If this was unplugged and removed while installing the new 12v battery, the first thing I would do is make sure it's plugged in correctly, all mounting fasteners are tight and no wires on the plug were broken. If all is good, they're a dime a dozen on ebay or a salvage yard. There's practically no demand for them.

8. ack714

ack714 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah,I was leaning that way, just grabbing one. Have a good weekend.

9. ack714

ack714 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi. Do you know if I would have to reset anything or clear the codes in order to tell if the replacement works? Right now it didn’t not make a difference. The Prius didnt start up but the codes haven’t been cleared.