1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with crazy flashing dash display & won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ja7777, Jul 5, 2016.

1. ja7777

ja7777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Hello, I had to go with my family out of country for 4 months so I left my 2010 prius at a friends house. I was worried of it sitting so long and since it was in the back of their garage, from reading online I asked my friend every two weeks to go out and turn it on and let it run for twenty minutes to keep the batteries charged.

Everything has been working fine for the last few months, but yesterday he went out to start it up and it beeped at him and the lights on the dash board starting freaking out and flashing crazily with a beep in the background and it would no longer start up.

I am heading back home in a few weeks, but wondering if anyone knows what this could possibly be. I am kind of scared of what has gone wrong and how expensive it could be to fix. I live in South Africa and live quite far from the nearest dealer that could look at it.

Any ideas? Here is a video he took of the dash.

usp=sharing

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably your 12 volt battery. is it original?

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    20 minutes every two weeks may not be enough to keep the 12-volt battery charged, especially if it's the original.

bisco likes this.
  4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dead 12v battery. Good thing it doesn't take much to jump start the Prius. A drill gun battery is enough to jump start it.

5. ja7777

ja7777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks, that is encouraging, When I get home in a couple weeks I can do that. Didn't realize it flipped out like that when the batter was dead. Hopefully that is all it is. Thanks.

Raytheeagle likes this.