1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with diagnostic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Prius Plz, May 14, 2017.

1. Prius Plz

Prius Plz New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is my first time using this forum.

So yesterday I went to get an oil change. They also did an alignment check because one of the tires was wearing a little funny.

Anyhow after I left I had 3 lights pop up, Check Engine/Red Triangle/ and (!) which is breaks I believe probably ABS. Also my car will not display any of the hybrid technology on the screen it just has a car symbol with a line through it.

I thought it was just that my 12v battery had finally given out. It has been having trouble staying charged overnight so I exchanged it and installed my new one but the errors did not go away. I had them reset the errors at the auto store but they came back on shortly after driving and still no display on the screen.

I believe when they did the alignment check and hooking up those sensors to my tires they may have damaged the wheel speed sensor and or the wiring for it. What do you think the likelihood of this being the cause?

I have a new job and need to travel 400 miles for training tomorrow how dangerous would it be for me to operate this vehicle?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's the year and mileage of your car? Can you get the codes read?

Is there too much oil in the car? That always can cause problems if it was overfilled

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Prius Plz

Prius Plz New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked the dip stick and it did not appear to be overfilled.

The car has 176,000 miles on it. I had the codes read before I replaced the 12v battery and they were giving me:

P3017 battery block 7 becomes weak.
    P0A80 Replace Hybrid battery pack

I know the hybrid battery was replaced around 100k miles from the carfax I received with the vehicle. Also I know if the 12v battery is bad it can give some weird codes, the 12v was definitely bad it was leaking battery acid.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh you have a bad hybrid battery. The 100k miles battery change was probably the 12v battery.

I don't think you should travel 400 miles on the bad battery. Although if it's all highway driving, you might be able to make it ok but your acceleration should be greatly affected

The 12v should not be leaking, it's a sealed unit. If there's moisture around the 12v, it should be water leaking in

5. Prius Plz

Prius Plz New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ran the self test and the 12v was only reading around 11.6 volts. From what I understand anything below 12 is no bueno. Also the hybrid battery inside the car is not OEM so it was definitely replaced at some point.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can charge the 12v back up and see how well it holds. Usually batteries under 5 years old should still be ok.

Your big problem is the failed HV battery. That is the main failure

pashko90 likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a non oem hybrid battery (rebuilt) is iffy at best. you were fortunate to get 76k out of it.

8. Prius Plz

Prius Plz New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will rent a car for this trip and hopefully when I return home I can get it in to Toyota and they can give me a proper diagnosis. I hope you guys are wrong about it being the hybrid battery but you are probably right.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope we are wrong also. all the best!(y)

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have a proper diagnostic, the Prius ECU telling you the code as P0A80

11. pashko90

pashko90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no clue about all US, but rebuild HV batt pack runs roughly 500$ craigslist price.

12. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A penny wise and a pound foolish.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

But your not. It clearly even states what block is bad in the hybrid battery. Not sure why the op is going to spend $100 at the dealer to have them tell him what is plain to see.

Almost every other post we see here now is a bad hybrid battery on a G2. This site desperately needs a HYBRID BATTERY forum. We can list all known battery vendors and repairers. Stickies on diagnosis and diy battery repair. Links to parts. List of Craigslist guys who mostly should be avoided as most are fly by night whack a mole repairs. Review them and grade them and a watch out list for Craigslist battery bandits. Alot of people are getting screwed over by the Craigslist battery bandits.
    Battery repair can advertise on this site linked to that forum. Posters are coming here in droves for that specific help and all they can do now is read hundreds of old posts for info. This site could do a better job harvesting them. Or sooner or later another site will.

bisco, Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  14. pashko90

pashko90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, i did not order any CL repairs, i did trust only myself all my cars) Even more, you can buy used pack as-is for 350. As parts or as good pack. It deepens how lucky are you. Or rebuild for 1-2k, but i did buy usally whole car for this price))))