1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with DTC P3190 Poor Engine Power

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mark222, Dec 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Mark222

Mark222 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, really need some help. 2008 Prius lost power and turned off while driving. Try to restart and it runs the engine for 5-10 seconds and shuts down again. Had it towed home and ran Techstream and found a single code, P3190.

Read all the posts on this topic, checked MAS and it is clean, as is the throttle body (MAS was replaced and body cleaned a year or so ago). Gas tank is full (just filled 10 minutes before it died).

Not sure how to proceed... so many possible causes for this DTC. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this would be great. I captured the freeze frame data in Techstream and put it here below - I don't know what to look for in all that data...

upload_2021-12-18_17-42-45.png

upload_2021-12-18_17-43-10.png

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. Mark222

Mark222 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many of the possible causes of P3190 (by itself, without other codes) seem to revolve around the air system. So I inspected all the hoses and connections and everything seemed in good order. I removed the MAS and did the electrical tests on it and it checked out good.

When re-installing the MAS I noticed the air filter seemed quite dirty, but hard to image it would be enough to choke the engine. On a whim I left the air filter out and the air cover off. It started up and ran fine! I drove it a while to recharge the traction battery (which was close to zero, so good thing it started this time). I cleared the code, installed a new air filter, and it has been running fine for a week now.

I am not convinced the air filter was really the problem and I hope it is not some intermittent thing that shows up again, but so far so good. It is possible the MAS electrical connector was loose or something, but that also seems unlikely.

A bit of a mystery, but really glad it is running again... I was close to having to towed to a dealer to diagnose which would have been quite expensive.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My first thought was that maybe it wasn't the air filter itself, but maybe it wasn't seated correctly, but even if it wasn't, it shouldn't have a bearing of the A/F mix as it is before the metered air. ...
    ... which leads me to it has something to do with the MAFS. Just maybe it wasn't connected properly or maybe it wasn't seated correctly and was letting unmetered air in. Who knows? At this point, it is academic, glad the car is now running well.

Mark222 likes this.