1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with Engine Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by JayBird314, Apr 27, 2023.

1. JayBird314

JayBird314 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I currently have a 2012 Prius V gen 3, and when I was replacing the inverter water pump, the grey clip on the engine wiring harness that plugs into the passenger side of the inverter snapped. Now, that tiny piece of plastic is causing my Prius to be inoperable, and would cost me thousands to fix in a shop.

My question is, is there any way I can fix, modify, or find a replacement for the broken connector? I've been looking for a month, and no dice. Also, what is the part number? I get a different answer from anyone I ask...

Attached Files:

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First thing I would do is to go to the dealer parts department and ask them.

Second would be a junk yard and cut off the same connector with 12" or more of the cable. If the clip can be removed and used on your harness, great. Your pic was not good enough to tell. If not, there are tools to remove the pins and swap the connector. Otherwise, you need to solder and heat shrink every conductor from the "new" segment into your harness. Or get someone to do it.

JayBird314 and Air_Boss like this.
  3. Bobwiley

Bobwiley New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello there.
    I wanted to ask if you were able to fix that harness?
    I am having the exact same problem and broke the same connector when I replaced the inverter pump.

Btw, here is the Toyota part number for that connector: G9260-47010

Attached Files:

4. Bobwiley

Bobwiley New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to de-pin this harness? The bigger 4 wires on the bottom are no problem. But having issues with the smaller ones.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Electrical Wiring Diagram will have drawings that show the terminal retention mechanisms for that connector.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

There normally are two, a primary lance for each terminal, and a secondary retention mechanism that you first have to release for the connector as a whole. The drawings in the wiring diagram will show how both work. The small rectangular openings next to the terminals are surely for access to the primary lances, and the wiring diagram should give (maybe in a different section) the shape and dimensions of a release tool for use there. I've made one by grinding down a cotter pin to the specified dimensions, and it does work better than trying to improvise with jeweler screwdrivers or whatever else I used to try using.

"Work better" still may not mean "work easily"; I still don't think I would try to unpin and repin 32 terminals like that unless I had exhausted other options. Did you mostly break the clamp mechanism off the old one? Is there any way to just transplant that from the new one?

Bobwiley likes this.
  6. Bobwiley

Bobwiley New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate the input. It does suck to unpin all the terminals and repin them. Ideally, I would like to replace the gray clamp harness cover if I could, but it seems to be all in one piece. There is this side ring that holds the cover together, but I have no idea how to remove it or put it back on. So doing the terminal pin method is where I'm at right now.

Attached Files:

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just two wires swapped out of those 32, and cue the hair-tearing ....

It seems to be made by Tyco Electronics and have a number on it. Maybe see if there's a data sheet for it, with assembly details?

8. SirParker77

SirParker77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    I've got the same problem. My connector looks different though. The larger wire connector isn't connected to the smaller one. It slides and clips into the grey part.

The part number for the grey part on mine is G9261-47010, but Toyota say it doesn't exist.
    Do euro models have a different inverter?

Attached Files:

9. SirParker77

SirParker77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Here are a few more pictures of mine.

Attached Files:

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've got an old hacked-out harness with one of those connectors on it, already busted, and as it's already busted I have tried from time to time to figure it out the rest of the way, and it still has me stumped. Maybe someday I'll feel like going at it again.

11. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    This should help...

Attached Files:

12. TannerEV

TannerEV New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread is aging, but I just figured out how to reliably de-pin the small pins on these main LV connectors on Toyota/Lexus inverters (I've seen them addressed as A60, A77, A62). I was not able to find any specific documentation for this type of connector, where the de-pin hole is diagonally offset on the lower left from the pin itself.
    -To unlock the pins, pull up the (Mine is Gray) connector release lever
    -The lock (mine is white) can be unlocked with a small screwdriver either under the front tab, or in the side hole exposed by the open/lifted release lever.
    (Consider the 'bottom' to coincide with the same side the de-pin hole for each pin is on - in the photos, the connector is 'bottom' down)
    -Using a flat de-pin lance/tool (with a tapered tip) narrow enough to fit in the de-pin hole, insert the tool into the hole straight in or at a very slightly upward angle - if the tip of the tool angles down, you've gone under the latch/clip. You should be able to feel slight resistance before you go even a centimeter in (about 1/4 inch).
    -Once you are on the latch/clip, tilt the tool handle downward and pull the pin straight out. It would be best not to have tension on the pins before releasing the clip - in fact i like to push the pins inward to relieve all tension.

This took me an hour or more to figure out... Hopefully this helps someone. It should help many doing EV conversions with Lexus/Toyota inverters if you get connectors from the wrecking yard.
    Actually, it looks like I cannot easily upload photos in this forum. I'll upload to openinverter forum instead. Oh well.
    Cheers