1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with Error code P1636 - tried everything

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Janebg, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Janebg

Janebg New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Canada on Vancouver Island. My mechanic and I do not know what to do to fix my Toyota First Generation Prius. Could you answer a question for us?
    My Prius has only 150,000 Miles and it has been well maintained. I replaced the hybrid battery last year. After that, we replaced the Stator which had shorted out.
    Since then, we keep getting the Error Code P1636 which means a communication error. We replaced the ECU and the hybrid computer...BUT STILL have the P1636 error code. The car is not drive able.
    Our local Toyota dealer has very little experience with the first generation hybrids, and is no help to us.
    What would you suggest we do?

Sincerely,
    Janebg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    is your mechanic using tech stream and the on line service manual?

i could be wrong, but the dealer should be able to consult with a toyota expert

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. Janebg

Janebg New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bisco
    I will go and find out more from my mechanic tomorrow. We have not had much success with our local Toyota Dealer. I live on Vancouver Island in Canada, and we don't think the local dealer has worked on many of these first generation hybrids. Thank you for the link. Sincerely, Jane

bisco likes this.