1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with hardwiring aftermarket USB port into dash

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DVoonster, Jan 25, 2016.

1. DVoonster

DVoonster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get pretty frustrated with the location of my 12v charge socket in the rear of the centre console of my 2009 gen 3 Prius. I have a phone holder mounted on my dash but the usb cable can't reach the phone when in it's mount being so far from the power source. It would seem the tidiest option would be to use one of the many spare ports (with the pop off black blanking plates) and to hardwire an auxiliary USB charge port into this...or at the very least another 12v lighter socket.

Does anyone have any advice as to where would be the most appropriate location to tap into the 12v electrics to power this port? I haven't purchased it yet but would expect this should be a reasonably easy install.

BTW my Prius is a right hand drive (Japanese import).
    [​IMG]

2. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On my prior Prius, a 2011, I used one of the blanks under the console next to the lighter. I was able to pop that panel out, replace a blank with a USB and then get the power from the lighter.

3. DVoonster

DVoonster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Sabby....great suggestion but unfortunately my Prius doesn't have either the lighter socket or the blank plate in that area (only in the centre storage console).
    I really just need to figure out where/how to wire into a stable 12v power supply that comes on with the rest of the car electrics.

4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not having a RHD Prii to look at makes this a lil harder.......but if it were me, I would remove the center console to gain access behind the cigarette lighter & tap the power lead there. The ground can go to any metal screw/bolt that u find while in there.

iPhone ?

5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This....with a caveat.

IF the USB port(s) are just to charge items and the draw will not exceed the circuit's capacity, the easiest option is to tap into an existing "power point" circuit (either 12v port under the bridge or the 12v port in the center console).

6. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I purchased a similar item to install exactly like you are planning. The first outlet I purchased off Ebay would not fit. Even though the add said "specially sized for Toyota" I got my calipers out and measured the cut out was able to find the correct outlet. I will probably tap into the fuse panel for power when I get around to it.

7. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  8. DVoonster

DVoonster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, might be the way forward. I was kind of hoping that there would be a nice easy access point under the front dash. I do have a multimeter so I'll do some more exploring. The other option might be to tap into the spare fuse box under the front hood. There was a great thread explaining how to do this for someone that wanted to add some day running lights. I'll update this post when I complete my mission. Any suggestions from seasoned electrical experts appreciated:)

9. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No spence going through the firewall to hook this up. There's enough ways to do this from inside.

U can come off the fuse box that's under the dash with one of these

[​IMG]

Look for an existing fuse that's got power when accessory mode is on. Remove that fuse & put it in the fuse tap. The 2nd slot in the fuse tap is for the USB charger. Now connect the 12v+ from the USB charger to the butt connector on the fuse tap.

No cutting or splicing

iPhone ?

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I tap the fuse under the dash for the seat heaters, since my car isn't even equipped with seat heaters. It's a 10 amp circuit and it's only live when the car is in accessory or Ready.

avusblue likes this.
  11. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The draw should be no more than about 1 amp.. the USB port take 5V and assuming you go with the 2.1 amp model.

12. DVoonster

DVoonster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a brilliant solution!! I'll try and find one of those. Just out of curiosity it looks like two different amp fuses in the picture. Shouldn't they both be the same?

13. DVoonster

DVoonster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it'll be 2.1 amps for sure. Thanks for the help. Got to find all these bits now & I'll keep you updated how I get on.

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Doesn't need to be the same. The one closer to the original fuse slot should be the original fuse, the one above can be rated the same, or less than the original fuse. Put an appropriately rated fuse for the equipment you are adding.

15. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No. They will not be the same. 1 fuse will be from the original location.

The 2nd will be a 2 or 3 amp fuse

iPhone ?

#15 sfv41901, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  16. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if I read your post wrong, but if you want a USB port to do more than charge items, you DO NOT want to patch into the cigarette lighter circuit because you'd have no data transmission ability.

17. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yep, misread, as I was answering OP's question. Obviously no data through 12v line.

I was looking to add a usb port.

#17 Sfcyclist, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  18. DVoonster

DVoonster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well thanks to all the helpful advice on this forum I finished the job today. I've thrown in some pics of the job.

In the end I couldn't use any of the OEM blank plate holes because Toyota seemed to make them ridiculously small and the plate itself looks like it was designed to make it impossible to modify without huge effort to cut away all the needless plastic (see the image to know what I mean).
    The USB socket I bought was 22mm in diameter and came with optional under dash mounting bracket so after staring intently at my dashboard area I settled on installing into the tiny storage area that in some Prius versions actually has an extra 12v socket anyway.

The little fuse tap suggestion was perfect and I located an unused fuse port which I tried in accessory / ready mode and it worked perfectly (& off of when the car is switched off of course). I added the ground connection to a chassis bolt nest to the fuse box that had enough residual thread to simply add another nut to..perfecto!

Thanks everyone:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The unused Toyota blank plate & hole (too small)

sfv41901 likes this.
  19. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    There are models that fit the toyota blanks. Still functions though.

Interesting to see the the panel has a pocket instead of a plate like mine.

20. DVoonster

DVoonster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah when I was looking to buy one I noticed that some had the plate with 12v socket as standard. Makes more sense to me.