1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with Hill Assist!

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by vcaz, May 23, 2012.

1. vcaz

vcaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Prius V that is giving me fits with the Hill Assist. First of all it comes on when I park on a surface that is NOT a hill. I know that depressing the brake pedal too hard can make it come on. But then what do you do to turn it off and start the car moving? The Hill Assist light comes on, the big P light comes on also and everything freezes. I have to repeatedly turn the car off, press the brakes, apply and release the parking break, etc. I haven't found out what exactly I need to do to turn off the Hill Assist. It's a pain to repeatedly turn the car off and on and try all kinds of things. Does anyone know how to get the car out of Hill Assist without having to keep turning it off and on? The manual hasn't been any help. TIA

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Once Hill Assist kicks in, to get moving again remove your foot from the brake and press the gas. It's pretty intuitive.

Tom

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have a Gen 3 or Prius v (hill start assist is new w/the Gen 3), but to me, it seems like the solution is to not press the brake pedal so hard.

Also, from what I understand, it does NOT ever detect hills in order to decide whether or not to be enabled. Second, you should be able to go within if you press on the accelerator for a few seconds. I wouldn't screw around w/turning the car off, back on, etc.

4. vcaz

vcaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the problem, the car just freezes and won't go period. This happens when I'm in reverse. I'll start the car and the Hill Assist light will come on along with the Big P light and other light indicators on the same row right side such as oil, etc. The lights stay on. I put the car in reverse, hit the gas pedal and it just sits there.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It sounds like you have a much bigger problem and that your diagnosis of HSA coming on is a red herring.

I'll let a Gen 3 or Prius v wagon owner chime in, but I think they'll probably tell you to take it a dealer, esp. if it's easily repro. If not, try to take a video of it to show them.

6. AtoyotA

AtoyotA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have never used the Hill-start Assist feature - pretty flat around here. Are you aware, once you activate the feature by stepping on the brake harder (with the car already stopped) that the brakes will stay applied for up to 2 seconds AFTER you release the brake pedal? Stepping on the accelerator should cancel the feature.

7. vcaz

vcaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like I've got a big problem! I'm definitely going to be taking it to the dealer. The problem is stepping on the accelerator doesn't do a thing-just a car that doesn't go anywhere. It happened to my son today at the grocery store when he started it up. It's really weird that all the lights on that same row as the Hill Assist icon, come on and stay on such as the oil pressure light and the other lights that are to the right. It seems the hill assist comes on too easily and then doesn't disengage without turning the car off (or off & on several times, crossing your fingers and toes!) and letting it reset.

8. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If the driver activates the hill assist, then the slip indicator flashes and a buzzer will sound once. This sounds different then what you describe.

From page 255 of the Owner's Manual "if the slip indicator light comes on (not blinking I assume); it may indicate a malfunction in the system. Contact your Toyota dealer."
    This sounds more serious and like what you describe.

Let us know what the dealer says.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does it only happen in reverse? If so, shift to D and give it a little gas before shifting back to R.

Tom

10. vcaz

vcaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for the help. I don't have a buzzer sound and the Hill Assist light stays on, also the Big P light. I'll let everyone know when I get it in for service.

11. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like you may be in "Ignition On" instead of "Ready", when you are trying to drive. When in "Ignition On", the only gears available are Park and Neutral, and the vehicle will not move under it's own power. Please make sure the you depress and hold the brake pedal before pressing the power button, then make sure the "Ready" light turns on. If you are having difficulty achieving "Ready" mode, check that your brake lights turn on when depressing the brake pedal. A misadjusted brake light switch may cause difficulty in achieving "Ready" mode.
    Hope this helps.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yep. That's another possibility. If the READY light's not on, then the car cannot be driven.

If one pushes power w/o pressing the brake, then it'll cycle between OFF, ACC (accessory) and IG-ON (most dash lights on, radio on, etc.).

13. Rh0

Rh0 Junior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hehe, I was also thinking that it sounded like OP was in IG-ON. Then I thought to myself.... Nah... No way! :rolleyes:

14. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I totally agreed with you for explaining possibilities: Ignition on only and not Ready mode.
    After I install the bypass kit so that my wife can enjoy her DVD on the run (I drive), the flashing P with arrow came on and I couldn't go to D. So I thought perhaps because I left the bypass switch ON all the time and it has to do with the parking brake signal. So I turned it off but did not solve the flashing P. I had to turn everything off and back on a few time before the system acts normal. This went on for a few days and went away even if I left the bypass switch on. I looked everywhere for the flashing P and basically the manual says "see your dealer".
    Lucky me but until now I still do not know what is that yellow P with arrow means!! It can't be a parking brake because that is the RED one on the left.