1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with HU

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Kevine64, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2015 Prius. Non nav and non jbl. I want to replace the HU in preparation for better speakers and to get better sound out of the stock stuff in the time being.

I want factory type fit. I want to retain use of steering wheel controls. I don't want/need high end stuff. I don't need nav. DVD would be a plus though. Just something better than stock.

Anyone have ideas of which and any wiring or mounts I'll need? Reviews of what you have personally?

Thanks!

2. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Also must retain use of back up camera

3. Daigi_

Daigi_ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    First post!

Go to double-u double-u double-u Crutchfield dawt com (I can't type links yet)

Enter the car you have, and they'll give you options that fit. One thing super cool about crutchfield is that when you buy your stereo, the prices are really competitive. On top of that, they include a dash kit, wiring harness, antenna extension, and other random knick-knacks for the install.

I've been shopping crutchfield for over a decade.

4. tannerpace

tannerpace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey kevine64,
    I have a 2014. Base Prius also, I too am trying to get better sound and keep factory perks like Bluetooth and steering wheel control.. I recently replaced my front speakers with apline components 6 1/2. I have been very impressed with what the stock headunit can do with just this update. I also did a lot of sound deading in the door. My music is much clearer and crisp. The rms of the speakers I used is 90 watts. So before I even hooked them up I ordered an Alpine power pack. It puts out 50watts rms *4. I also ordered a reverse wiring harness so I won't have to cut the factory harness in order to install it.
    I am waiting for my harness but thought I would let you know in case you decide to keep factory head unit. It is a option. I'll let you know how it goes one I get the power pack installed. Even with out it the speakers sound great and get louder than I need

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Soujiro13

Soujiro13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Metra 70-1761 Wire Harness for Toyota/Scion/Lexus/Geo 87-up
    Item #120701761

Toyota SWC Harness 28 Way SWC Harness
    Item #120TOY28SC

Toyota Prius 2010-Up Kit I/DD
    Item #142TA2105B

Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface
    Item #120ASWC1

Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS DVD Receiver
    Item #130X380BHS

I went through all the phases, speakers first, then added headhunt, then added an amplifier, then added another amplifier and subwoofer. I agree just upgrading the speakers does wonders. I put a set of morel components on the factory headhunt. And it sounded a lot better than stock. I then put in the aftermarket head unit, and "wow", night and day. I don't miss the factory head unit at all. Just having the ability to eq and ability to change timing, fade, etc. did wonders. Just takes time to work on the settings. The steering wheel control interface works perfect, maintained all function. It's just a little tricky because the instructions aren't too clear. I also added the "bypass" also keke. Above is the list of stuff I bought from Crutchfield. The head unit has bluetooth and back up camera, but I would look into something that has apple CarPlay. Don't wait just do it. I waited since 2012, and regret not having this system installed earlier. I haven't really noticed any decrease of my mileage. Amplifier were easy to install to because of battery location in the trunk. I would also recommend getting from Crutchfield, because their customer service is great, and they give a good discount on the accessories. If you need any help or have any questions on installing, feel free to send me a message.